JD plus 50 10w-30 07 powerstroke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very nice report, 'Runner.

7300 miles on 10w-30 dino in a PSD and it didn't shear much if any at all. Wear is good. Contamination low. The CJ-4 did well. What's not to like?

You'd better be careful; you might wear that thing out in the next 500k miles or so ...

Congrat's from a fellow 30-grade HDEO heretic.

I in fact just answered that very question on another forum in regards to shearing. It did in fact shear some, as per Deere specs the starting viscosity is 12.1, but still well within 30 wt. specs. One thing I forgot to post earlier is that there was NO make-up oil added. Seeing you post reminded me of the "flogging" you gave your Duramax on your last UOA and I realized I did not add that to the post.

I didn't know we were being labeled as 30wt. heretics (hehehe)

It seems to be working for me as it is you and the others that are using it. I made my mind up a couple of years ago that I will continue to use this viscosity as long as own this truck, don't fix it if it isn't broke.

I would say it's a matter of how badly you want the fluid.

The two prominent HDEOs in 10w-30 are JD plus 50 and the Rotella. I'm sure any JD dealer would order it for you, and I know that the Rotella is available at any Walmart, AAP and others (if not not on the shelf, they will order it for you as well).

Last edited:
FYI... JD Plus 50 is "dumbed down" Delo or Delvac. You'd be better served running the real deal (Delo or Delvac). JD plus 50 is manufactured for John Deere by Chevron (West of the Rockies) and by Exxon/Mobil (East of the Rockies) to a very specific ad-pack which is not as stout as Delo or Delvac.

This info came straight from a JD Master Mechanic.

Believe me or not, it doesn't matter because it's working for you which is great.

Rob

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I would say it'a a matter of how badly you want the fluid.

The two prominent HDEOs in 10w-30 are JD plus 50 and the Rotella. I'm sure any JD dealer would order it for you, and I know that the Rotella is available at any Walmart, AAP and others (if not not on the shelf, they will order it for you as well).

Yes, I have been running T5 this winter from wally world and so far the cold weather performance has been great. I am not really looking to extended my OCIs and actually the T5 at $16 is cheaper than Rotella 10w-30 AAP, which fetches a $17.99 price. I was just thinking if I could get JD Plus50 10w-30 at like 12-14 a gallon...that would be pretty nice. Just trying to save a few bucks but aren't we all.

I will most likely just end up staying with T5 in the winter cause so far it has been the cheapest CJ-4 10w-30 I can find, the MC 10w-30 is $20 a gallon round me. (About 30 miles south of Boston, MA)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BoiseRob
FYI... JD Plus 50 is "dumbed down" Delo or Delvac. You'd be better served running the real deal (Delo or Delvac). JD plus 50 is manufactured for John Deere by Chevron (West of the Rockies) and by Exxon/Mobil (East of the Rockies) to a very specific ad-pack which is not as stout as Delo or Delvac.

Believe me or not, it doesn't matter because it's working for you which is great.

Rob

Without actually being able to look at the add-packs from the two you mentioned I cannot compare, but if you have the info I would be glad to look at it.

"Dumbed Down" is not something I would call an oil that has a 500 hr. service interval from the engine manufacturer (Deere). Granted the add-packs are not the same, but I would have to say the Deere Plus 50 II add-pack is superior than "off the shelf" lubes.

6.0 & 7.3 Powerstrokes are notoriously very hard on oil and this lube does seem to be working for me quite well.

As a side bar, mechanics generally know very little about lubes. With saying that I am not bashing any mechanics, but just because they know how to fix an engine doesn't mean they have done the research on what lube contains this or that, or that one performs "better" than another.

Rob

After replying to the above post I decided to do a little research on my own to compare Plus 50 to Delvac, while I am not implying that either of the lubes mentioned in the above post are inferior, I found it highly unlikely that Deeres version was "dumbed down" either.

John Deere Plus 50 II 10w-30 Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 10w-30

CST @ 40`C 86.6 79
CST @ 100`C 12.1 12
HTHS @ 150`C 3.6 3.6
VISCOSITY INDEX 133 148
SULFATED ASH 1 .99
TBN 10.5 8.6
POUR POINT -40 -33
FLASH POINT 223C 215C

From the looks of these two lubes they both have very good add-packs, with Plus 50 II having a superior TBN, higher flash point,and a lower pour point. The much higher TBN is why Deere can allow its engines (current & legacy) to extend OCI's out to 500hrs, and obviously the use of USLD.

Both look good on paper. But I've only seen UOAs on the JD fluid. I've never seen a UOA on the Delvac, nor ever seen it in real life.

JD certainly isn't "dumbed down" by those specs, and judging from Roadrunner's UOAs, it's far from a slouch in the crankcase.

What's it cost per gallon?

I apologize for the above post, I seen how it posted and I went back into make it easier to read and the time limit had expired.
All of the data was taken off of the manufacturers web site.
All three lubes are 10w-30 CJ-4

..... Plus 50 II ...... Delvac 1300 Super ..... Delo 400LE
VISCOSITY
@40C..............80.1.............79...................80
@100C.............12.1.............12...................12
VIS INDEX........133..............148..................145
POUR POINT.......-40..............-33..................-27
FLASH POINT......223..............215..................204
TBN...............10.5..............8.6..................8.7
SULFATED ASH.......1................ .99.................1
HTHS...............3.6..............3.6.................???

As for a price comparision, I only know the price of the Plus 50
is right around 14 dollars a gallon, my dealer doesn't stock it in bulk, if they did the price would be around 11 a gallon, which is what the 15w-40 is.

Last edited:
I have a Deere dealer near me; I should call and see what they have in stock, what they can order, and for what prices.

I get my (favorite flavor) Rotella 10w-30 off the shelf at my local farm supply store (Rural King); typically around $13/gallon right now. Sadly, I think the days of my finding HDEO for $10/gallon are finally over.
frown.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I have a Deere dealer near me; I should call and see what they have in stock, what they can order, and for what prices.

I get my (favorite flavor) Rotella 10w-30 off the shelf at my local farm supply store (Rural King); typically around $13/gallon right now. Sadly, I think the days of my finding HDEO for $10/gallon are finally over.
frown.gif

We have it bulk at the shop great oil would put it up against any HDEO of today, but off the street price i think is around $12 if you buy a 5 gal pail.

Rob

Just looking at the UOAs, the Plus 50 has a more robust add pack than delo or delvac dinos.

I believe that you are correct in reporting what the mechanic told you, but I don't think the mechanic's information is correct based on observed data.

Originally Posted By: Brons2

Rob

Just looking at the UOAs, the Plus 50 has a more robust add pack than delo or delvac dinos.

I believe that you are correct in reporting what the mechanic told you, but I don't think the mechanic's information is correct based on observed data.

What a ridicules statement, plus-50 is a quality good lubricant built to JD stringent spec. UOA's from our equipment are always stellar.

Originally Posted By: daman
Originally Posted By: Brons2

Rob

Thats exactly why I pulled up the manufacturers info myself, to dispel the rhetoric. There is no way Deere is going to extend OCI's on its own equipment upto 500 hrs. with a "sub-par" lube.

What a ridicules statement, plus-50 is a quality good lubricant built to JD stringent spec. UOA's from our equipment are always stellar.

Do you think JD has some "super secret" blend of additives or that a farm-implement company knows more than Chevron or ExxonMobil when it comes to designing lubricants?

It's a generic HDEO lubricant and it works great in the majority if not all applications.

No I do not think JD has some "super secret" additive, but if you look at the specs of the lubes you mentioned they are clearly not the same. Blenders will additize lube to whatever spec a company wants.
A good example of this is Amsoil, there basestock comes from several different suppliers, its the additive package that makes the oil, not the other way around.

Sorry, but you're making it sound as if Deere is some fly by night company rebadging an off the shelf lube, dumbing it down, as you put it. When in fact through my research I proved to you the Plus 50 is an exclusive blend, no different than Cat branded lube or countless other engine/machinery manufacturers.

The two lubes you mentioned are very good, along with others, but they don't boast a 500 hrs. OCI either. One Deere marine engine I have came from the factory with a 250 hrs. OCI, unless using Plus 50 then it can be extended 50%. Then they introduced Plus 50 II extenting the interval to 500hrs., double the original service interval.
Can this be done with other lubes, sure with UOA's to back you up, but from looking at the additive package this oil looks very good and can be had for a little over 11 dollars a gallon bulk, I honestly don't know how one could beat it.

Do you think JD has some "super secret" blend of additives or that a farm-implement company knows more than Chevron or ExxonMobil when it comes to designing lubricants?

It's a generic HDEO lubricant and it works great in the majority if not all applications.

Yes it a blend a blend of there specifics for these engines that endure a harsh environment day after day, and i'm sure they know plenty about lubracation they know what they need for these power plants for longevity,the testing Deere does on there engines is actually impressive.

so yes the statement is still ridiculous..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back