JD Gator with Briggs and Stratton engine

I bought a 2021 XUV560 gator for the family for Christmas. We have about 12 hours on it so far. Most of which are from pulling the kids on sleds in the snow. I serviced it at 8 hours like the manual said to. I used a John Deere filter and Deere turf guard 10w30 oil. I was disappointed when I noticed the OEM filter from the dealer was nothing but an ecore champion filter with a John Deere sticker on it. The factory filter I pulled off looks much different. I have nothing against ecores but at $9 I know they’re overpriced. The oil is anyone’s guess who makes it but is marketed to be blended for outdoor power equipment. The engine is a 570cc Briggs v-twin with a side drive. Nothing special as far as I can tell. Is there anything I’m missing? Would a Napa filter and Chevron supreme be just as good? I don’t mind paying for quality but I don’t don’t like being taken advantage of.
B7A1D129-BDC9-47E8-91A2-96034EFDC68A.jpeg

I'm not sure how different the briggs in your gator is from the 22hp intek v-twin on my JD zero turn, but I've been running a Fram XG3614 and full synthetic 5w-30 for years with no issues. That said If you have a warranty to maintain I'd stick with JD filters.

Go with a FRAM as suggested. They are easy to find. Oil choice is up to you as long as it is within specifications.

I'm not sure how different the briggs in your gator is from the 22hp intek v-twin on my JD zero turn, but I've been running a Fram XG3614 and full synthetic 5w-30 for years with no issues. That said If you have a warranty to maintain I'd stick with JD filters.
Other than the shaft on your mower being vertical, probably nothing. Mine is only rated at 16hp though.

I sold my boys 4 wheelers right before Christmas for $700 bucks less than I paid for them 4 years ago. They had outgrown them a while ago. My wife has been wanting a gator for a while now so I rolled that money plus some into a new offroad capable Gator. Fun for the whole family.

Also while doing some digging I found the SDS for Turf Guard 10w30. It's blended by Northland oil in Iowa. I called them to ask if they sold a version of it in their own packaging and they said no. Said that Deere has their own formula that they send to them to blend and it's proprietary. Good to know that maybe there is a difference.

The 3614 Fram and even SuperTech filters are a popular option
or alternative to the JD filter.
The JD oil is for off road vehicles so there's no catalytic Convertor to
be concerned with additive wise.
Brand name synthetic oil is still a step up for your oil choices.

My 2¢

It seems like the Turf Guard 10w30 is similar to a HDEO.
You could probably run something like Delo or Rotella 10w30 and have a pretty comparably product.
I have ran a Wix 51348 filter on my Vanguard (or Napa gold 1348)
good solid filter at a reasonable price.

I have a super tech ST 3614 and a Napa pro select 21348 that will fit. I know they will work but I just paid $10k for this thing a month ago and I’m worried about “inferior” parts.

I have a super tech ST 3614 and a Napa pro select 21348 that will fit. I know they will work but I just paid $10k for this thing a month ago and I’m worried about “inferior” parts.
I'm not really sure why you're fighting the $9 OEM filter for a new machine.. even if something 'better' might be out there. I ran OEM filters on my truck when it was under warranty, and just put OEM filters on my Kubota. Even if there may be a theoretically better filter out there, you're under warranty and you know the oem filter isn't going to cause any harm.

Either of those two filters are the equal of the OEM unit. Parts from a MFG are
nearly always higher priced.
that aside, the larger 3614 may/will filter better than an OEM as it's larger and
the oil will flow through it slower. That filter can handle a high output V-6 and maybe
a V-8.

My 2¢

Back