JBWeld Cold Weld Epoxy - Poor Results

This is what I bought https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/...teel-reinforced-epoxy-283-g-0383711p.html#plp

I used it to glue on undermount sink clips to a stone countertop https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07MHGWNWX...&pd_rd_r=2604ad69-6dab-48a5-b740-64ffd5d2d4cd

I used a 50/50 mix ( approx, wasn't measuring exactly )of the two tubes, mixed it thoroughly. Temps were around 75F in the kitchen. I let the epoxy cure for a few days and then tightened up the nuts on the clips. Two of the clips came off the countertop - the epoxy bonded well to the countertop but the epoxy itself fractured. The cured epoxy was brittle and certainly felt nowhere nearly as strong as the advertised strength of 5020 psi.

Trying to figure out if I did something wrong.

I've installed many faucets. They usually contain a plastic washer and nuts. Was the counter a drop-in. Usually the clips that hold the countertop in have a screw to tighten them.

This is what I bought https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/...teel-reinforced-epoxy-283-g-0383711p.html#plp

I used it to glue on undermount sink clips to a stone countertop https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07MHGWNWX...&pd_rd_r=2604ad69-6dab-48a5-b740-64ffd5d2d4cd

I used a 50/50 mix ( approx, wasn't measuring exactly )of the two tubes, mixed it thoroughly. Temps were around 75F in the kitchen. I let the epoxy cure for a few days and then tightened up the nuts on the clips. Two of the clips came off the countertop - the epoxy bonded well to the countertop but the epoxy itself fractured. The cured epoxy was brittle and certainly felt nowhere nearly as strong as the advertised strength of 5020 psi.

There are epoxies for marble online. Many surfaces have to be sanded with a really fine sandpaper to promote adhesion.

Adhesion to the marble is not the issue. I got a really strong bond between the epoxy and the marble. The epoxy is not separating from the marble.

Use the original JBW......... the cure time is longer (15 hrs) but it works better. The quik setting stuff isn't worth using. What is the proper way to adhere the clips ?
I just spread on a patch of epoxy on the marble and then just pushed the clips into place. The clips work because they have holes and the epoxy on the marble extrudes through the holes. For the clips to separate from the marble, these extrusions have to break off and that is what is happening in my case. The provision of the holes is neat way to get a strong bond between epoxy and metal.

What was the expiration date? Regardless, I may have used something specific for marble instead of a general purpose product.
Just checked - 0036A on the resin bottle and 9357A on the hardener bottle. Will contact JBWeld tomorrow for a translation.

Let me state again - THE BOND BETWEEN THE MARBLE AND THE EPOXY IS VERY STRONG, WITH NO SIGNS OF FAILURE.
The epoxy itself does not have adequate body strength, nowhere near 5000 psi. Nothing to do with marble whatsoever.

Here's the type of system he is talking about. It IS odd that the JB did not work. Did you completely embed the brackets like in this picture:
1658695189283.png

Is the jb weld releasing from the metal? Or are you ending up with good adhesions to both substrates and is fracturing leaving weld on both. Curious.

Let me restate about the adhesion to both substrates. The epoxy did not adhere well to the smooth surface of the metal clips, which is not surprising at all. But it did extrude well through the holes and the extrusions expand out a bit once past the holes. The clips cannot slide off the extrusions because of the expansion. The only way the clip can separate from the patch of epoxy that bonded well to the marble is when the extrusions break off from the epoxy patch and that is what is happening.

- the epoxy bonded well to the countertop but the epoxy itself fractured. The cured epoxy was brittle and certainly felt nowhere nearly as strong as the advertised strength of 5020 psi.

The epoxy you linked to is 3960psi.

3960 psi should be strong enough and the cured epoxy I ended up with may have 500 psi strength.

If you check out the Canadian Tire link, the package itself states 5020 psi while the Can Tire description states 3960 psi

You have a valid point, but I just checked my package and it states 5020 psi on the front. Also the back of the package, shown on the C Tire link, states 5020 psi.

Back