JATCO CVT8 recommended fluid - Mitsubishi Outlander

I have done the CVT services on my wife's Outlander at the dealer because of the warranty. But looking at the most recent invoice it was $210 for what looks to be a drain and fill, the invoice stated $21 a quart for genuine Mitsubishi fluid and the labor. Ugh. The past invoices stated that they did flushes, and it was $180ish. Given that they're now doing drain and fills for an exhorbitant price, I'm taking it over.

What fluids are recommended for this transmission at a reasonable price (not $21 a quart). The JATCO CV8 is used in other cars so it doesn't necessarily have to be a Mitsubishi specfic recommendation. I will probably do two or three drain and fills once I decide on an alternate fluid, to get the fluid to a point that it mostly consists of the new fluid.

Also any thoughts about the long term durability of the JATCO CVT8 are appreciated. The vehicle has roughly 84K miles on it. I'm kind of on the fence about keeping it long term, and the CVT is one of the prime reasons why.

I used castrol transmax in my daughters outlander sport and it's fine but i would've used something better like amsoil if she said she intended to keep it much longer but will be getting rid of it before 100k for something larger. They're not bad if both not driven like it's stolen and maintained well. The stereotype comes from Nissan altima owners driving them like race cars and never changing the fluid which is why they blow up all the time.

The Jatco probably uses green CVT fluid, so Cam2 is the one you should choose. It is the cheapest CVT fluid that's green :)
Get it from Autobarn

Transtar is also green, but it seems to be sold out on Amazon. I did find this listing on eBay for the Transtar, but it is slightly more than Cam2.

Valvoline and Amalie CVT fluids are amber, and so is Lubegard Complete CVT fluid.

Many aftermarket CVT fluids, including Castrol, are red. There is nothing wrong with using red CVT fluid, but some people are put off by it.

If you check your owners manual for the CVT fluid spec, I'm sure Idemitsu makes that flavor. I got a decent price for Idemitsu N3 fluid for my QX60 at Napa. Maybe cash in on a 20% sale there.
Well $13.99 is better than $21.something for sure. Idemitsu shows the N3 fluid on their site when looked up for this vehicle.

If you go by Jatco or Mitsubishi's recommendations, they're going to say you NEED to use OEM fluids only or risk eternal ****ation.

If you search the other 1000's of threads here (seemingly) on Jatco CVTs and recommended fluids, you will see over and over where any name brand "suitable for use" CVT fluid will keep your CVT doing what it's doing.

I've personally used Castrol Transmax Universal ATF/CVT fluid in my Nissan CVTs w/out issue. My only concern would be trying to stick to an OEM "colored" fluid while under warranty. Out of warranty it doesn't matter.

I have done the CVT services on my wife's Outlander at the dealer because of the warranty. But looking at the most recent invoice it was $210 for what looks to be a drain and fill, the invoice stated $21 a quart for genuine Mitsubishi fluid and the labor. Ugh. The past invoices stated that they did flushes, and it was $180ish. Given that they're now doing drain and fills for an exhorbitant price, I'm taking it over.

What fluids are recommended for this transmission at a reasonable price (not $21 a quart). The JATCO CV8 is used in other cars so it doesn't necessarily have to be a Mitsubishi specfic recommendation. I will probably do two or three drain and fills once I decide on an alternate fluid, to get the fluid to a point that it mostly consists of the new fluid.

Also any thoughts about the long term durability of the JATCO CVT8 are appreciated. The vehicle has roughly 84K miles on it. I'm kind of on the fence about keeping it long term, and the CVT is one of the prime reasons why.
I know the early Nissan Cubes had Jatco cvt's that self destructed with less than 50k miles in some cases but those were early examples. I'm not familiar with the 8 tacked onto cvt. Is this a Mitsubishi designation of some sort?

I know the early Nissan Cubes had Jatco cvt's that self destructed with less than 50k miles in some cases but those were early examples. I'm not familiar with the 8 tacked onto cvt. Is this a Mitsubishi designation of some sort?
Here's a marketing slick:

If you go by Jatco or Mitsubishi's recommendations, they're going to say you NEED to use OEM fluids only or risk eternal ****ation.

If you search the other 1000's of threads here (seemingly) on Jatco CVTs and recommended fluids, you will see over and over where any name brand "suitable for use" CVT fluid will keep your CVT doing what it's doing.

I've personally used Castrol Transmax Universal ATF/CVT fluid in my Nissan CVTs w/out issue. My only concern would be trying to stick to an OEM "colored" fluid while under warranty. Out of warranty it doesn't matter.
Available in gallon size at WallyWorld is a plus for Transmax.

Reactions: JTK
Available in gallon size at WallyWorld is a plus for Transmax.
I ran about 12-16 quarts of Castrol Transmax universal through my 2019 Pathfinder's CVT between ~70K and 103K miles when I got rid of the vehicle. The CVT was always excellent in that vehicle. The timing chains began their death rattle in it's VQ35DD at 103K despite my insane oil change regimen on it.

Timing chain death rattle at 103K, sounds like a 5.4 3V. I guess the Pathfinder is FWD, making a timing job difficult or an "engine out of vehicle" type service?

Outlander owner here, Idemitsu N3 compatibility says CVTF N3 and Napa also advises Idemitsu N3 for use in the outlander’s, Changing the small cooler filter and probably use Eneos Eco CVT fluid.

Eneos is a bluish color and Mitsubishi J4 is green. I was thinking maybe Idemitsu N3 fluid for Nissan and Infiniti vehicles gotta be similar to Mitsubishi J4…?

A member on the Mitsubishi Mirage forum sent in a virgin sample of J4 and Eneos Eco CVT fluid, The viscosity is similar except Eneos had more detergent's in their fluid.

Timing chain death rattle at 103K, sounds like a 5.4 3V. I guess the Pathfinder is FWD, making a timing job difficult or an "engine out of vehicle" type service?
Yessir, FWD format. It can be done with the engine in place from what I've seen, but most shops drop the subframe w/ the whole power-train on it to do the job. OEM only timing parts are expensive for the VQ35DD. Seeing what I saw so many other DD owners go through with this particular engine and the other wear items that needed to be addressed on my 2019, I got out of it instead of fixing it.

Best I can tell, Eneos CVT fluid is a just a "recommended" for NS-3 use fluid. Same as any other universal CVT fluid. I'm sure it's an excellent product, but so are all the others.

Idemitsu NS-3 juice does say it "meets" Nissan/Infinity NS-3 specs. If you are all about sticking with an "OEM only" fluid, go with the Idemitsu NS3 CVT fluid.

Back