Japans last F-4EJ Phantoms

The base I was on in Viet Nam had Phantoms and when they took off (24/7) with full after burner you couldn't hear the person in front of you talking.
It was great at night to watch them.
But we got used to it,they are still the baddest looking fighter jet ever, just pure evil looking.
They were great at night. You could literally see them for miles, or until they kicked it out of afterburner.

They were great at night. You could literally see them for miles, or until they kicked it out of afterburner.
When they took off they would go nose up as best they could in the thick air with a full bomb load and climb as fast as possible to elude any possible ground fire.
So I guess it was max AB for awhile,dont know how long they could sustain that.
There were times I saw some other planes that needed JATO to take off.
I dont know a lot about this,it's just what I saw.

The F4 Phantom was the most modern fighter jet when I was a teen, so I still have a soft spot for it, even though it was far from perfect.
Same here. My dad was a mechanical engineer who helped design both
Banshee.jpg
the F2H Banshee and the F4 Phantom.

Last edited:
It's not my picture, but yes was stationed at HAFB and ran plenty of F4's. Typical trim pad photo. They made a lot of noise!
When I was a crew chief on B-52s in the early 1970's, engine trim runs were the best part of the job. I would be in the pilot's seat riding the brakes and running the throttles.

..."The F-4 Phantom would break many world records over its service life–16 speed, altitude, and time-to-climb records in all. When it performed a zoom climb on December 6, 1959, the Phantom set a world record at 98,557 ft. In September 1960 flight, a Phantom averaged 1,390.24 mph over a 62 mile course. In 1961, during a 50th anniversary celebration of Naval aviation, utilizing several refueling tankers, a Phantom crossed the continental United States in 2 hours and 47 minutes, averaging over 869 mph. Not a world record, but still notable is that the Phantom was the last U.S. fighter flown by pilots who attained ace status in the 20th century..."

Back