Jalopnik: A Huge Chunk Of America Is Getting A New Electric Car Charging Network

Most Tesla's have an onboard charger that is 11.5Kw and requires a 60A breaker.

A typical "standard" electric range has:
2ea 2100 Watt elements,
2ea 1500 Watt elements
Oven elements of 2600 and 3000 Watts (one or the other runs)
For a maximum wattage of 10,200 Watts.

Note: "High Output" or higher end electric ranges will consume a little more power.

It's simply worth noting that any Tesla car using it's onboard charger, will consume only about 1000 watts more than a standard electric oven/range. Or about 300 Watts less than a "high output" or high end range, which consumes 11,800 Watts.

This is well within today's norms. The issue is not all that difficult to address. It is worth noting that charging at night may, in many locations, be happening during periods of peak use. As water heaters and heat are often consuming power at night.

It's also worth noting that the onboard charger will recharge the battery at about 30 to 40 (give or take a little) miles of range per hour.

Last edited:
^ You are doing a great job of making my point for me! TX... I'm quite aware, is another reason why EV isn't always practical, and if you think a solar panel will do much with snow and ice on it... you have not owned solar panels in a snowy climate situation.

There's always this "EVs are coming' argument, which I don't disagree with, rather it is the absurd notion that they're going to be in every other home in the next 20 years.

That cannot happen without 10X the infrastructure addions being planned in that time frame. TX being a great example again, that they aren't even keeping up with current needs.
Have you checked my location?

^ You are doing a great job of making my point for me! TX... I'm quite aware, is another reason why EV isn't always practical, and if you think a solar panel will do much with snow and ice on it... you have not owned solar panels in a snowy climate situation.

There's always this "EVs are coming' argument, which I don't disagree with, rather it is the absurd notion that they're going to be in every other home in the next 20 years.

That cannot happen without 10X the infrastructure addions being planned in that time frame. TX being a great example again, that they aren't even keeping up with current needs.
OK, 40 years?
So what if infrastructure is needed? I do not remember from history books people saying: well, lets keep horses, now we need to build gas stations.
TX is great example for other reasons. For example, Denmark does not have an issue getting majority of electric needs from wind mills, although weather is seriously depressing, with sunny days being like lottery.

OK, 40 years?
So what if infrastructure is needed? I do not remember from history books people saying: well, lets keep horses, now we need to build gas stations.
TX is great example for other reasons. For example, Denmark does not have an issue getting majority of electric needs from wind mills, although weather is seriously depressing, with sunny days being like lottery.

Denmark doesn't get the majority of their energy from wind, that's despite having enough installed capacity to meet pretty much double their demand. Last year (pandemic year) was the highest percentage they've achieved, and that was 47%, primarily due to reduced demand, just like Germany.

Denmark depends HEAVILY on imports from French nuclear and German coal and keep in mind their power consumption is quite low; they are a small economy. Their annual consumption is roughly the equivalent of the output of Ontario's 4-unit Darlington nuclear plant, which produces ~18% of our power.

Denmark doesn't get the majority of their energy from wind, that's despite having enough installed capacity to meet pretty much double their demand. Last year (pandemic year) was the highest percentage they've achieved, and that was 47%, primarily due to reduced demand, just like Germany.

Denmark depends HEAVILY on imports from French nuclear and German coal and keep in mind their power consumption is quite low; they are a small economy. Their annual consumption is roughly the equivalent of the output of Ontario's 4-unit Darlington nuclear plant, which produces ~18% of our power.
Yes, European countries buy electricity from each other. They don’t insulate themselves like one state here and then have lights turned off. My point was that it is doable. We can definitely talk nuclear here, regardless how unpopular is.

Yes, European countries buy electricity from each other. They don’t insulate themselves like one state here and then have lights turned off. My point was that it is doable. We can definitely talk nuclear here, regardless how unpopular is.

Yes, they are VERY interconnected in Europe, which has been a huge help; dare I say a necessity, in allowing the level of penetration of wind and solar in certain places there.

Solar panels are expensive but cost is coming down rapidly. I realize I live in a solar energy bubble because of where I live.
Beyond all the sunshine, electricity costs in CA are among the highest in the nation.

But your post is missing the benefits of installation.
The value of my house has increased. My electricity costs are less than $15 per month.
And I blow the AC like never before.
Charging the Tesla is icing on the cake; it only gets me to the cost break even point faster.
I expect to reach break even in perhaps 4 more years; probably less.

I do not have a battery, but when costs allow, there may be one in my future.
I expect solar installations to spread across the nation as their performance improves and cost continues to drop.
My post was in context of the benefit if SHTF, no power otherwise to charge a vehicle. It was also considering the snow and ice in TX, that although rare there, is a routine thing in more northern regions. If you don't have snowy winters, but have government or power co. incentives, solar panels make a lot more sense, not just from year-round production but also less wear and tear on them... but it will need a substantial battery array to charge the vehicle in power outage events.

I think I would like an electric car. Nephew has one and he let me drive it, quiet, comfy, and fast. I know the juice has to come from somewhere, but so does the oil. To be honest I have always enjoyed a fast ride and the giddy up of an electric really appeals to me. Like the guy with the model 3, it would be nice to start with a full tank every morning. Right now our only car is a Honda Accord V6 and my wife just loves the thing, so an electric could be a long way down the road. I am 71 and not in good health so that Accord may outlast me.

I had to make sure I wasn't in the Humor section first! Even if this were true, and it isn't, transfer stations across the entire US need electricity to move that product, and terminals need electricity to load those trucks.
MANY years ago, like 20, the CEO of our company, headquartered in Huston said that this single item (electric infrastructure) should be America's #1 priority!
I suppose that's why he was CEO!
Of course it isn't true. Sarcasm. People act like they are immune to cyber attacks because they make gas. Seriously. Read some of the posts on the first page. :LOL:

People I talk to are convinced that they'll be charging their ev's overnight with their solar panels!

People I talk to are convinced that they'll be charging their ev's overnight with their solar panels!
I am one of those people.
My solar panels send more back to the grid than I use. So my electricity bill is only the cost of being connected to the grid ($15 month max).
Think of it as banking the energy. When there is no sun, I use the excess energy I sent to the grid during the day.
This is also true during winter, when there is not enough daytime sunshine.

I have yet to break even on the cost of the solar project, but will get there in a couple more years.
Then my solar panels will pay for my EV charging, along with all the other (expensive) electricity I use.

I love my solar panels; the solar project was one of the best improvements I made to our home.
In fact, it even increased the value of the property.
And I can blare the AC like never before.

I am one of those people.
My solar panels send more back to the grid than I use. So my electricity bill is only the cost of being connected to the grid ($15 month max).
Think of it as banking the energy. When there is no sun, I use the excess energy I sent to the grid during the day.
And that is how it's done!

Back