Jaguar Diesel 2.0L

Looked at used '17 Jag XF-R sedan, 39K miles on it, with 2.0L Diesel. Never owned a diesel, and not many Jags, or dealers, to be found. My question is, are these motors/cars problematic?

Looked at used '17 Jag XF-R sedan, 39K miles on it, with 2.0L Diesel. Never owned a diesel, and not many Jags, or dealers, to be found. My question is, are these motors/cars problematic?
That engine is noisy and it defeats the purpose of getting a Jaguar it encompassing everything that Jaguar is NOT.
Get a gas if you can

I shied away from a beautiful bmw 328d last year. 4 cyl turbo diesel in a European sedan... at first I was /smitten/. Then I started doing the research. A blown high pressure fuel pump would send shrapnel throughout the fuel system, resulting in replacement of anything diesel touches. $12k job by the dealer. No. the vehicle would be economically viable for the length of the used car warranty.

it’s the ingenieum engine, their replacement for the ford tdci and multiple other engine families. ask these guys if they’ve had problems

i’d stay away from any post-ford jag.

Last edited:
Having just traded in my '17 Range Rover HSE diesel, I would have a hard time recommending a modern diesel in a passenger vehicle outside of a specific need... I absolutely loved the vehicle, but the frequent "DEF quality", "vehicle cannot be started in 250 miles" and related warnings got tiring, as did the dealer's inability to permanently solve the problems. This issue is not unique to JLR as a quick search will indicate.

IMHO modern passenger diesels have been needlessly overregulated to the point of overcomplexity and unacceptable reliability.

JLR have gotten much, much better under Tata's ownership, but the diesels are another story.

Last edited:
I shied away from a beautiful bmw 328d last year. 4 cyl turbo diesel in a European sedan... at first I was /smitten/. Then I started doing the research. A blown high pressure fuel pump would send shrapnel throughout the fuel system, resulting in replacement of anything diesel touches. $12k job by the dealer. No. the vehicle would be economically viable for the length of the used car warranty.

My Father had one for 5 years, bought it brand new in 2012 and put over 170k on the clock until he replaced it with an Alfa Romeo Giulia in 2017. Nothing went wrong with it, at all! It had oil changes every 20k to 25k and used the cheapest diesel he could find. I was 19 when he originally bought it and used to drive it like it was stolen on a regular basis.

Because of that car I went and bought my G31 BMW 520d. They're absolutley fantastic cars.

Lots of Ingenium engines here in the UK. I've never heard any horror stories and they're generally quite reliable.

My Father had one for 5 years, bought it brand new in 2012 and put over 170k on the clock until he replaced it with an Alfa Romeo Giulia in 2017. Nothing went wrong with it, at all! It had oil changes every 20k to 25k and used the cheapest diesel he could find. I was 19 when he originally bought it and used to drive it like it was stolen on a regular basis.

Because of that car I went and bought my G31 BMW 520d. They're absolutley fantastic cars.

Lots of Ingenium engines here in the UK. I've never heard any horror stories and they're generally quite reliable.
Curious if the emissions systems and standards are the same. Historically, Europe was favorable to diesels, but not sure about recent history whereas the US got aggressive on passenger diesels over the past few years probably because clean diesel would threaten someone's all electric dreams, but I digress....

Do modern diesels use DEF there?

When you use "k", are those miles or kilometers:)

As said the 2.0 diesel is the ingenium engine that is a JLR Maclaren design. I don’t know why anyone in America would buy a diesel outside of a superduty type truck for towing.

As said the 2.0 diesel is the ingenium engine that is a JLR Maclaren design. I don’t know why anyone in America would buy a diesel outside of a superduty type truck for towing.
Here’s why.... I love how they drive. I favor engines that do torque down low. The turbo gassers now demonstrate that to a degree... and I quite enjoy my eco boost for the same reason. I liked the Jetta tdi for the same reason, but have scars from previous VW experiences and shied away from them. Just a drivers preference, in my case.

Many thanks to all of you for the feedback. I'm convinced the Jag diesel is not for me. But hold on, all of you, I'll be searching other interesting cars in the near future and will once again be asking for info.

Many thanks to all of you for the feedback. I'm convinced the Jag diesel is not for me. But hold on, all of you, I'll be searching other interesting cars in the near future and will once again be asking for info.
Good choice, now tell us about the ultralight/light sport?

Curious if the emissions systems and standards are the same. Historically, Europe was favorable to diesels, but not sure about recent history whereas the US got aggressive on passenger diesels over the past few years probably because clean diesel would threaten someone's all electric dreams, but I digress....

We use miles in the UK despite being on the metric system. I often joke when talking about MPG that my car does 62miles to every 4.546litres of fuel.

I believe our emmissions regulations are at least as strict as they are in the US. Diesels have used DEF for quite a few years now.

I did some researched before buying my used 2018 Jaguar XF by reading info on Jaguar forums , Youtube Test drives and Youtube owners info after several years of service. The old problematic Jaguars & Land Rovers as we know of today are gone ever since they were bought by Tata Motors in 2008. I was looking for both 4 cylinder gas and diesel but ended up buying a gas/petrol engine because of the price, exterior & interior color. According to my research the only common problem on the Jaguar diesel is the clogging of DPF. If you are a high mileage driver this diesel engine is for you & if you are not, stay away. According to the guy who sold my used XF at Vroom (Houston dealership), they can't get enough inventory of Jaguars because they sell quickly off their parking lot. My only advise, join the Jaguar forums first and ask all the info of what you need to know and watch some Youtube videos pertaining to the car itself. So far, I really liked mine & at 33K+ miles I'm really impressed by it. Also, to my surprise, it still looked new after applying car wax.
This is my previous post inquiring about the coolant:
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/coolant-for-2018-jaguar-xf.340496/
An XF diesel review from a German driver

Last edited:

some use DEF, not all. in the UK they use miles.

Partly for the novelty of it. Partly the fuel efficiency. Partly the power.

Partly because if the emissions fails I can replace it with a 4" pipe from the turbo back and no one is going to look up my car's skirt.

In that case, the first three point will be further enhanced.

Diesel and 87 are also the two cheapest fuels where I live.

In that case then just be aware that some of the 2.0 diesel ingenium had balance shift noise issues that requires engine out to rectify. Certainly on the Land Rover models that used it this was a issue.

Some Info about Diesel Engines: Hope this helps

The Gas/Petrol engine & the newer Diesel engines according to Jaguar

Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) as defined by Jaguar

Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) according to Jaguar

Back