It's time for another project

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I bought the Morris Mini Pickup instead of the Renalut Dauphine, the Dauphine owner dropped his price so much that I couldn't resist.

So now I have two projects running at the same time. I won't do a lot with the Dauphine for a while, but I did clean it up so it is waiting.
Here is the site: Richard's Renault Dauphine

The Mini is still awaiting parts. The bulk of them got from England to Tulsa and are on the way here by truck/boat/truck. That site is linked from the new one.

Here is the new project
page2-1000-full.jpg

page2-1001-full.jpg

Sweet, I nearly bought one of those in Canary yellow when I was 18/19.

Going to find a Gordini drivetrain ?

If the engine is in the condition he says, I;ll stick with it. I;m going to make this one pretty much stock, especially since the Mini will be far from stock.

I finally got back to Tarija to work on this.

Brakes were filled with mud. I finally got them apart and sandblasted. Ready to paint and put back together later in the week
page8-1008-full.jpg

New pics and progress on the site Renault Progress

sooooooo i guess a trip to the softstrip is next. be sure on bolts/screws on the bottom, especially brake tube threads to use anti-seize compound on them.

Got back to Tarija for a couple of weeks of work and play.
A little sandblasting
page12-1001-full.jpg

Welding and straightening
page12-1008-full.jpg

and painting
page12-1010-full.jpg

page12-1012-full.jpg

Fabricating worn and eliminated camber adjusting eccentrics
page12-1014-full.jpg

and it is ready to sit for another month til I can get back again, hopefully with more parts. If I have enough time in November I'll go ahead and rebuild the engine.
page12-1013-full.jpg

Tomorrow I'll be looking for the bushings.

When you say project, you really mean it. I praise you because most people's projects are not as in depth as yours and the pay people to do some of the work you do.

Nice! Renault also used three lugs per wheel on the le car. And it looks like a pretty nice suspension setup for what was sold here as a total econobox. "They" say French cars ride the best...

My Mom drove her dad's Dauphine home from school up to Vermont. It always overheated on the same hill! She just brought water, topped it off, and carried on. That wouldn't fly nowadays.

This is the only one I know of. It is an interesting suspension, unfortunately with welded crossmember instead of bolt on like the Corvair, so it is a lot harder to work on.

On overheating, it is interesting that there is a sliding panel behind the driver's seat to open for more air to reach the radiator and cool the engine. You are supposed to open and close it to maintain temperature.

Every one of these that I have ever seen (A LOOONNNGGG time ago!!) has had a fair amount of smoke coming out of the oil 'vent tube' (I guess?) which was pointing down towards the road in back at the rearward part of the engine.

Was that a 'normal operating condition' for these cars??

once upon a time there were no pcv valves. The vent tube stuck out below the engine for the wind to pull the vacuum as it went. when sitting still, there is nothing to pull it, so it sort of comes out and shows.

I always look forwards to Widman's projects. I wish I had the time, money and energy to restore a car. With two teenagers, my time, money and erergy is directed toward getting them out of the house some day!

Here is a front spindle after cleaning it up on the lathe
page12-1015-full.jpg

And one of the new bushings/sleeves the machine shop made for it. Hopefully the grease will spread nicely through that bushing.
page12-1016-full.jpg

And all together
page12-1017-full.jpg

Well, yesterday I took the morning off. with the help of a neighbor, I tied an old fire hose over a pole and around the engine, lifting it out. Then pulled it apart. Three hours later I had a pile of parts. Another hour of pressure cleaning and they were ready for the next step. Today I'll put the wire brush on the table grinder and clean up some spots.

It apparently really had been repaired shortly before abandoning 25 years or so ago. Not any wear on cylinders or bearings (+.25), but there was water in it so I have to see whether the cylinders are all salvageable.

The clutch lining also looks new, but after 25 years in the mud, it is not usable. Here are a few pics. More on the site.

page13-1000-full.jpg

page13-1004-full.jpg

page13-1007-full.jpg

page13-1006-full.jpg

Turns out the block was cracked and the center cylinders slightly ovaled, scratching the sides of the pistons on the squished sides.

I took the block to a welder who will press it together and weld it. Also took the cylinder sleeves to the machine shop to correct the circle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back