Is your job / career at risk of Artificial Intelligence putting you in the unemployment line ?

If that ticket price drops certain people will. I am amazed how crappy of airline experience people tolerate because prices are so low now. I remember decent flights on Swiss Air, PanAm and TWA as a child.
How will replacing pilots with AI improve the airline experience?

The pilot on your flight is a tiny percentage of ticket cost.

Not having a Captain on the flight means the flight attendants have final authority for in flight conduct.

I don’t think that’s going to lead to service improvements....

Regardless, AI isn’t ready to blend into the air traffic system anytime soon.

People will continue to fly cause it’s not worth driving very far distances.

Booking a first class seat avoids the ‘Jerry Springer & People of Walmart’ type of passengers 95% of the time. :ROFLMAO:

Trust me on this, it’s definitely worth the extra $400 per flight....

hal9000.PNG

That's what we said about EV 20 years ago - watch!

Freight, maybe in the nearer future than passenger flights. Boxes don't scream if something goes wrong. Ultimately the problem is relying on automation to adjust fluidly...decision-making when things aren't going as planned is where human judgement is required, not calculations. When automation fails in your car, you pull over. When automation fails in an airplane, you can't pull over.

How will replacing pilots with AI improve the airline experience?

The pilot on your flight is a tiny percentage of ticket cost.

Not having a Captain on the flight means the flight attendants have final authority for in flight conduct.

I don’t think that’s going to lead to service improvements....

Has the airline experience been improving?

Lots of things are done not in the pursuit of service improvements but for higher profit margins. I don't remember signing up to be a grocery clerk at the self checkout counter that has to know my produce codes.

There are unmanned drones now, maybe pilots flying planes remotely might be one eventual shift. Or a bunch of technicians flying a bunch of planes from a control room.

Not in my lifetime.
As a ER nurse, I am not worried about AI or automation taking over my job.
Nurses are the backbone of any hospital whether it’s a small 50 bed hospital in a small city..... or a monster hospital with 1000 licensed beds. ER nurses have a difficult and stressful job.

Unfortunately the bozo folks in hospital administration with MBAs in healthcare management from a degree mill have ZERO idea all the problems nurses face on a daily basis. These bozos are oblivious to what happens in patient care areas of the hospital.

Last edited:
I have been working on mainframe computers since 1976. So many decades. Companies have plans to move off the mainframe but they never seem to happen. Looking to retire in a year or two. My job is solid at least until I retire.

I would think you are safe but you must be seeing a lot of changes going on around you? Robots for delivery as a example?
At my facility, no.
I know there is a lot of automation coming at some point in time, but at my facility (and within the 11 hospitals, 20 clinics and numerous other facilities in the hospital system) I know of none at this time.

I could see how the automated pharmacy could help a lot in staff reduction as well as reduced dispensing errors in most of the hospital, but in the ER, not so much. When I need meds, I need them now, and don't have time to wait for a robot to bring them to me. We do have Pyxis machines (an electronic medication dispensing machine, but still needs to be stocked by humans)in the ER and the rest of the hospital). When I need a med, I just go to the Pyxis and pull what is needed. About 90% of the meds we need are in the ER Pyxis itself, just a few we have to request.
On the floors, most staff have minimal if any interaction with a pharmacist (but one or two are always in the building 24/7 and just a phone call away if needed) and only occasional interaction with a pharmacy tech.

What I find interesting is the video in the first post the guy states they did this partially because a nurse overdosed a patient.
That is not really an error of the pharmacy or dispensing, it is an administration (of the medication) issue, and not something that would necessarily be fixed by going with the automation process (unless they delivered exact amounts of every single drug).
This happens for several reasons (the end user having to adjust the dosage given to the patient vs the dose available). Say you are supposed to received 25mg of a specific medication in a tablet. Well, the pharmacy only stocks 50 mg tablets, because it saves them money if they buy bulk 50mg tablets, so before they are given the medication, the tablet needs to be split in half.
There are safeguards nurses are taught to prevent these errors, either the primary way taught in nursing school which is the 5 rights:
  • Right patient
  • Right medication (includes checking expiration date)
  • Right dose
  • Right route
  • Right time
Some places will even add 1 or 2 more:
  • Right reason
  • Right documentation
Plus you have 3 med checks
  • when getting the med
  • when preparing the med
  • just prior to giving the med
and most facilities today have something built into the Emergency Medical Record (EMR) to allow scanning of the med, which will do the 5 (or 7) rights for you.

Obviously errors can still happen if you fail to do the correct checks and verifications, and even machines are not perfect. I don't care how I get my meds, I will still check them before I give them.

At my facility, no.
I know there is a lot of automation coming at some point in time, but at my facility (and within the 11 hospitals, 20 clinics and numerous other facilities in the hospital system) I know of none at this time.

I could see how the automated pharmacy could help a lot in staff reduction as well as reduced dispensing errors in most of the hospital, but in the ER, not so much. When I need meds, I need them now, and don't have time to wait for a robot to bring them to me. We do have Pyxis machines (an electronic medication dispensing machine, but still needs to be stocked by humans)in the ER and the rest of the hospital). When I need a med, I just go to the Pyxis and pull what is needed. About 90% of the meds we need are in the ER Pyxis itself, just a few we have to request.
On the floors, most staff have minimal if any interaction with a pharmacist (but one or two are always in the building 24/7 and just a phone call away if needed) and only occasional interaction with a pharmacy tech.

What I find interesting is the video in the first post the guy states they did this partially because a nurse overdosed a patient.
That is not really an error of the pharmacy or dispensing, it is an administration (of the medication) issue, and not something that would necessarily be fixed by going with the automation process (unless they delivered exact amounts of every single drug).
This happens for several reasons (the end user having to adjust the dosage given to the patient vs the dose available). Say you are supposed to received 25mg of a specific medication in a tablet. Well, the pharmacy only stocks 50 mg tablets, because it saves them money if they buy bulk 50mg tablets, so before they are given the medication, the tablet needs to be split in half.
There are safeguards nurses are taught to prevent these errors, either the primary way taught in nursing school which is the 5 rights:
  • Right patient
  • Right medication (includes checking expiration date)
  • Right dose
  • Right route
  • Right time
Some places will even add 1 or 2 more:
  • Right reason
  • Right documentation
Plus you have 3 med checks
  • when getting the med
  • when preparing the med
  • just prior to giving the med
and most facilities today have something built into the Emergency Medical Record (EMR) to allow scanning of the med, which will do the 5 (or 7) rights for you.

Obviously errors can still happen if you fail to do the correct checks and verifications, and even machines are not perfect. I don't care how I get my meds, I will still check them before I give them.

We chopped everything in our pharmacy. Our formulary was also streamlined years ago. ACE inhibitors, we had two primary ones plus another for certain patients. The rest were not stocked.

As for robots, I have been watching news of robots cleaning, security robots, UV light robots, and robots that deliver meals. The ER wouldn’t see a lot of these but on the floors they are becoming common as they are in stores. My Walmart has robots that scan shelves and security robots.

Pyxis and other systems were a big sea change in pharmacy, especially with the CUBIE drawer system. In the pharmacy we went with older technology in a Carousel system. Other industries have used Carousel for some time but they adapted it to Pharmacy. So instead of rows of shelves we have these Carousel rotating shelf systems that direct you to a particular bin on a shelf. Bar coding adds some confidence. Ordering and Re supply is greatly streamlined. In our case, our pharmacy was the main inventory for the five hospitals back then. Inventory is a huge cost for pharmacy, much larger than labor.

I retired from healthcare over ten years ago so my guess is that it is much different now.

Has the airline experience been improving?

Lots of things are done not in the pursuit of service improvements but for higher profit margins. I don't remember signing up to be a grocery clerk at the self checkout counter that has to know my produce codes.

There are unmanned drones now, maybe pilots flying planes remotely might be one eventual shift. Or a bunch of technicians flying a bunch of planes from a control room.

I think if AI is piloting airliners, you'll still have at least one human, carbon unit captain on board as over watch and to build confidence of the passengers. Probably there will also be control rooms on the ground with ex-pilots as traffic controllers as well. Even the Unmanned Drones are still piloted remotely...

Unless we start freezing inmates, no. I feel bad for what the patrol guys are going to be going through the next few years, but I for one am all for improved mental health services. I watch over a bunch of people that would be better served in a mental institution, but the state did away with the bigs ones back in the 80's, so the only place for them to go is jail for the most part.

--Fully mandated state of GA Deputy and County Jail Shift Commander

Back