is white lithium grease ok for caliper slide pins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Kestas
Yes - anything that is silicone-based. Fluorosilicones are even better.

Some people on this thread seem to be stuck on the word "synthetic" for caliper grease. That is not the operative word here.

No, but the grease must state that it is formulated specifically for brake applications. Grease that just contains the word silicone is not enough.

How about Dupont Krytox grease? I have this in my stock. Seems to be totally inert to rubber/plastics and has a huge operating range.

Drew

Critic, which silicone greases wouldn't work on brake calipers? I thought that silicone ipso facto implies resistance to temperatures.

Critic, which silicone greases wouldn't work on brake calipers? I thought that silicone ipso facto implies resistance to temperatures.

I have a can of Walmart spray silicone grease that I probably wouldn't recommend using on brake parts.

Spray - grease?... that sounds like an oxymoron. I'm not familiar with this product.

spray grease pops up now and again a basic grease DILUTED with a thin evaporative fluid (solvent) in a spray can, sprays a liquid then as solvents flashes off it turns to a grease.
bruce

Yes, I'm aware of the spray greases, but not silicone spray grease.

My question to Critic still remains unanswered - "Which silicone greases wouldn't work on brake calipers?"

I used some Dow Corning 111 the last time on the slide pins because I knew I needed a fairly viscous grease and 111 is it. So far the slides seem to be sliding alright; of course I can't verify that for certain, but the brakes seem to be working alright.
21.gif

I'll throw my 2 cents in here, I upgraded my brakes (buick) 6/07. Less than 6 months later my brakes where hanging up bad, the calipers where not releasing. The problem was a simple fix. Replace the rubber bushings for the guide/bolts. When I did the upgrade I used either (don't remember) Silcone spray or PB blaster to set the rubber bushings in their holes, as a result you can see the rubber degraded and broke apart from useing the wrong stuff. Also to note, I did use the CRC as pictured above in addition to the sprays = NOT GOOD!
In the pic, on the left brand new, you can see there is a difference. Swollen and falling apart. That's the way they out, no digging from me.
badrubber2.jpg

What's the verdict on using anti-seize? I was doing a brake job one night and the neighbours came over and started gushing about how I had the "right stuff" (KleenFlo EZ-Slide). They said all they've ever used was anti-seize on their slide pins. It seems to be the norm out in the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back