Is This Piston Slaping Sound?

Look up Hyundai Service Campaign 953 for the rod bearing recall. As for slapping, while yes, more common in the NU engines, most notably the 1.8L, the 2.0 L had slapping issues as well, and the 2.0L is a theta 2 engine, not an NU.
You might want to check your facts. The Nu engine family consists of the 1.8L and the 2.0L. The Nu 2.0L is NOT a Theta II, completely different.

The Theta II family consists of the 2.4 and 2.0T. I know all about campaign 953, I own a theta II powered vehicle. You stated that the rod bearing failure happens because the pistons start rocking in their bore. To date their is no evidence that the Theta II engines have a widespread piston slap issue.

You may be dealing with carbon knock, this was common on a few engines and can sound like lower engine noise or top end noise when cold. The Cadillac N* was plagued with this for many years.
A piston soak for the most part took care of it for a while, if the car was driven by grandma it would reappear in a year or two, repeat the clean.

You might want to check your facts. The Nu engine family consists of the 1.8L and the 2.0L. The Nu 2.0L is NOT a Theta II, completely different.

The Theta II family consists of the 2.4 and 2.0T. I know all about campaign 953, I own a theta II powered vehicle. You stated that the rod bearing failure happens because the pistons start rocking in their bore. To date their is no evidence that the Theta II engines have a widespread piston slap issue.

Theta II MPi​

The second generation Theta engine added CVVT on the exhaust side as well as a two-way VIS and comes in two sizes, the 2.0L (G4KD) and 2.4L (G4KE).

2.0L (G4KD)​

The 2.0L Theta II MPi engine has a 10.5:1 compression ratio, and it produces 165 PS (121 kW; 163 hp) at 6,200 rpm and 20.1–20.2 kg⋅m (145–146 lb⋅ft; 197–198 N⋅m) of torque at 4,500–4,600 rpm.

Theta/Theta-II (2.0L)​

2.0L DOHC engine in a Kia (G4KD)
(G4KA, G4KD)

These engines did not have turbos, the G4KD, and G4KA. I have owned both NU and Theta/Theta 2 engines. I'll concede on the slap issue, But a piston rocking in its bores can cause side stress on rod bearings. I've seen it a hundred times on air cooled VW engines.

I will still stand by the rest of what I have stated to the OP. 30w, taking it to dealer to have it at least on record, or, if he likes, to leave it overnight And be there when they cold start it. From his recording, how3ver, I don’t hear it.

I agree, that noise from your engine is not piston slap. Sounds like lifter or fuel pump or fuel injector noise, pretty normal noises for a cold start IMO. I bet it gets quieter when the engine is at warm idle. Most engines make extra noise on cold start.

Look up Hyundai Service Campaign 953 for the rod bearing recall. As for slapping, while yes, more common in the NU engines, most notably the 1.8L, the 2.0 L had slapping issues as well, and the 2.0L is a theta 2 engine, not an NU.
...and the Nu with the few instances of slap is the MPI, not so much the GDI.

Back