Is this normal for DexronII or DexronIII?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just did an ATF change on a 2001 Nissan Altima that calls for Matic D. A mechanic changed the pan and fluid a few years ago and I assume he just put DexII or DexIII in.

The fluid I drained out looks clear and red on the dipstick but when in the pan it looks cloudy and a pale red. Not exactly pink like water in it but I don't know why it's cloudy.

Also as I move something like a spoon through the fluid it creates sort of a wake (with a sharp line in the fluid), that closes up on itself and totally disappears after a few seconds. Very weird. I can move a spoon through it in elaborate patterns and draw lines around the fluid that disappear in a few seconds.

As I do this the surface appears to have particles suspended on it because some shine in one direction and the others shine in another as I shine a light. I don't know if these are metal or not.

Does anyone know if this is normal? Is there water or something in this? I'll try to take a picture.

1. I haven't noticed any color change to the coolant nor am I losing coolant. It's still green and clear like brand new (I changed the coolant last year).
2. The ATF level wasn't dramatically high, it was 4 quarts drained out of the pan of a 10qt system which is right on the dot as far as people say comes out when you do a drain and fill on this. Dipstick was right on full too. I would think if the trans cooler was leaking I'd either see the coolant have ATF in it or the level in the ATF would be higher due to the coolant?
3. I did wash the engine bay and did get water on the dipstick but I knew where the vent hole was and avoided it. I didn't use a pressure washer I used a hose wand that sprays a light spray and I didn't concentrate on the dipstick area, just moved it all around the engine bay. Maybe I got some water in it that way enough to not raise the level but still make it cloudy some how?

If the ATF does contain water, is it guaranteed to separate out if I put some in a container and leave it somewhere for a day or two? Or do I definitely have to do an analysis?

Those are tiny metal particles. I see that on the first few oil changes on a lawnmower. He would have used a dexron 3 equivalent. Dexron 2 had been obsolete for a long time. I don't believe what you describe is normal.

Hopefully.... there is also a large magnet in the pan with a bunch of fine black fuzz stuck to it.

You CAN'T just assume he put in xxxx oil... buy what it calls for and use that to fill it again.

It's been a few hours and I still don't see any settling in the fluid I collected in a bottle. Does this mean there's no water in it?

Every time I've seen water in engine oil the engine gets white streaks in it and turns really light like coffee with too much cream. If the ATF isn't really pink does that mean there's no water in it?

I'm trying to decide whether I should spend $28 having a sample tested or whether that money is better spent doing two more drain and fills. I used Castrol Multi-vehicle Import ATF (it stinks like fish, worst smelling ATF I ever used :)).

Here's some pictures I snapped with some bad flash (sorry). If you guys drained "this" would you suspect any kind of contamination from water or something given the stuff I said above?:
gjqgy.jpg

ngshs.jpg

pxydb.jpg

mlhrm.jpg

No, i don't think there is any water i.e emulsified water or free water.
Dissolved water, if any, would be harmless for now.
Yes, just drain and fills would do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back