Is Pennzoil 100% Synthetic Outboard Oil 100% Synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a gallon this weekend. The front of the bottle says 100% Synthetic, but the label on the back says it is a synthetic blend. So which is it? Synthetic or synthetic blend?

Per the Pennzoil Website , it is a full synthetic.

Quote:
The combination of synthetic ester base oils and a premium, ashless performance package in Pennzoil Marine® Full Synthetic 2-Cycle Oil provides protection for high horsepower applications that require approved NMMA TC-W3® oil.
End Quote

Cognis, a supplier of synthetic ester base oils, has several products that can be formulated in 2 cycle oil applications.

I sent an e-mail to Pennzoil asking about this. They promptly replied within an hour or so. They asked my to check the stock number on the back label. The stock number checked out OK, so it really is "100% synthetic".

What is odd, the back label refers to the product as "100% synthetic", except where it says "Pennzoil 100% synthetic outboard oil is a snythetic blend of blah.blah.blah..."

I got an MSDS for this oil, and it says 60-80% highly refined petroleum oils, and 20-40% petroleum solvent. So it may not have as much ester as they want us to believe.

Is it still dark blue and smell sort of like latex or butyl rubber? or does it have sort of a diesel oil mixed with the latex smell and have a more greenish blue color to it?

I think they have changed it maybe late last year.
Only say that because I rode behind a bud who runs it in his sled and it smelled different (not as good as the old stuff). We ran the original stuff for years when it was Itasca, then it got a quakerstate label, then pennzoil. All looked smelled the same. The msds's on the earlier products as close as I could tell showed it to be mostly synthetic, aliphatic ester , borated polyisbutenyl, synthetic hydrocarbons...

The new msds looks a lot like one of the quakerstate products introduced last year, advertised as synthetic looks like grp3 on paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back