Is my sample viable if it was from the last trickle?

I changed the oil in my F-150 3.5 ecoboost today and I tried to get a sample. Unfortunately I had a lot of trouble not spilling the old oil all over the **** place (thanks for the design that sprays engine oil several feet and through the wheel Ford!) and I wasn't able to get the sample container under the drain until it was just a trickle. Is this a viable sample for Blackstone?

Don't use Blackstone, and idealy, send a sample to the lab that hasn't been contaminated by anything.

Not recommended, but it should be fine as the oil was previously mixed and the flow in that area washed debris in the area of the drain plug. Send it to Blackstone IMO

In response to the first reply: Use whoever you want. It's your money and your choice. If accurate fuel dilution is important to you, you may want to consider another lab. But Blackstone is at least as good as any other lab for spectral analysis. One thing they are really good about is communication and special instructions. If you let them know what you just let us know, that will help them during their analysis and their comments should reflect that.

Back