Is my new OLD air compressor safe to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently acquired this SpeedAire compressor from my IL. It's apparently old rusty looking of ~ 20 years old?

Don't know if it's safe to keep,however, I have used it a few times and it works just fine!

Thanks in advance.

How is the tank? Does it have a drain, if so, open it up and see if any water comes out. It should be fine, (you might want to change the compressor oil) but other than that, I would use it in a heartbeat. Even if the tank is rusty, it likely will not explode but rather will start leaking like a tire with a nail hole.

Where did you find it?

I cannot see the pictures (what hosting site did you use, as this happens to me alot at work) but I am using a rusty old Campbell Hausfeld 11 gallon horizontal compressor that is dated 1982 and the only problem I have is that the regulator doesn't hold 120psi. A new part will fix that problem, but I only use it for airing up tires and only need 50psi to do that.

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
How is the tank? Does it have a drain, if so, open it up and see if any water comes out. It should be fine, (you might want to change the compressor oil) but other than that, I would use it in a heartbeat. Even if the tank is rusty, it likely will not explode but rather will start leaking like a tire with a nail hole.

Where did you find it?

My MIL had it for ever in her storage building.I don't know if it has drain valve and I'm sure I need to change oil because it says on the tank to use 10w40

Thank you and I will check the drain brb.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
I cannot see the pictures (what hosting site did you use, as this happens to me alot at work) but I am using a rusty old Campbell Hausfeld 11 gallon horizontal compressor that is dated 1982 and the only problem I have is that the regulator doesn't hold 120psi. A new part will fix that problem, but I only use it for airing up tires and only need 50psi to do that.

I use imageshack,this SPEEDAIRE model is 3Z394 and it's rated 120PSI with 3/4 hp motor.

No problems using it. My main compressor was bought around 1987 and I do not even think of it as old. Its got a 60 gallon tank and when the tank goes I will buy another tank.

GreeCguy,

I just checked it back again and I don't know what I'm looking for .is it valve or bolt ?

3z394cparts.jpg

Last edited:
Yup...like suggested above. It won't blow up like a bomb. No catastrophe looming. It will just develop a leak and ruin your productivity for that day.

Last edited:
I agree, looks to be number 27. It will be on the bottom of the tank and will either be a plug or petcock depending on what's been done to it over the years. Either open the petcock or remove the plug and if there's any water in the tank, it will run out. Make sure the tank is level so all water will run out.

If this is your first compressor, that's something you need to do on a regular basis. The more you use them, (especially in a humid climate) the more moisture builds up inside the tank. It's no big deal and is very common. All you have to do is open the drain on a regular basis.

In my experience, all my compressors always called for non-detergent 30 weight. What does everyone else say?

Originally Posted By: scurvy
The drain bolt appears to be #27 on the exploded diagram. Loosen it and see what (if anything) drains out.

Ops had the diagram duplicated. I'll check.what about oil filler/drain plug?

The drain bolt is usually brass and looks like a threaded screw. Sometimes they have a butterfly looking nut on them. I bought an old coleman compressor and I had to use vice grips to get the drain bolt off. Lots of brown water that looked like gravy came out (more than 1 quart). I added a ball valve and a galvanized nipple to drain it out every time I use it now.

Regards, JC.

I was sizing up a yard-sale old compressor once.
I ran it for an hour doing some outside work and it had pumped all its crankcase oil down into the tank.
I said "no, thank you!"

Originally Posted By: spackard
I was sizing up a yard-sale old compressor once.
I ran it for an hour doing some outside work and it had pumped all its crankcase oil down into the tank.
I said "no, thank you!"

The compressor I'm using now did the same thing. The previous owner gave it to me for scape metal. I got it home and realized he had done two things. One, he over filled it with oil, two, he ran a screw into the vent hole on the oil fill plug, (I assume because once he over filled it, oil would flow out the little vent hole). I drained the oil, refilled it with fresh to the proper level, took the screw out of the vent hole, it works great to this day. When I first opened the drain valve on the tank, literally, at least a quart of oil came out of the tank.

Originally Posted By: JC1
The drain bolt is usually brass and looks like a threaded screw. Sometimes they have a butterfly looking nut on them. I bought an old coleman compressor and I had to use vice grips to get the drain bolt off. Lots of brown water that looked like gravy came out (more than 1 quart). I added a ball valve and a galvanized nipple to drain it out every time I use it now.

Regards, JC.

JC,

appreciate your input,I flipped this compressor and yes it is brass nut with a butter fly nut.I tried to take it off but seems like this butter fly nut is turning up and down with no opening of any kind.So I think I have to take the brass nut(15 mm I think) off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back