Is it worth its weight in cast iron?

I have an old engine that was replaced a while back.. Iron block and head, Ford Cologne, I believe.

Is it worth stripping it down and bringing it to the scrap yard? Is the cast iron more valuable than just bringing it in all together as mixed metal?

I remember a while back I brought rotors to the scrap yard and they paid more for those than the other misc. metal I had.. Is this the case if I separate the iron block from all the other stuff that's on it? Do I need to clean it of oil and gunk to get a better price?

Last edited:
Call the scrap yard and ask. Most want all the oil drained but if you're stripping it down, the oil will be gone anyway.

They will give you more for "clean" cast iron, but it's not a lot right now. $130 a ton the last time I hauled in a load to the scrapper. Dirty/mixed ferrous metals were $20 a ton.

they might have a separate price for it being an engine

You won't get as much as the core charge you were charged to send it back to the store you bought it from

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
You won't get as much as the core charge you were charged to send it back to the store you bought it from

Unfortunately the "core" charge has come and gone - It was only 30 days, and it took me much longer to get everything set up. So the next best thing is to scrap it. I guess I could sell it on CL but who wants an engine with a bunch of issues.

Originally Posted by ripcord
They will give you more for "clean" cast iron, but it's not a lot right now.

Clean as in, no fluid in it, or clean as in power-washed so that it's not sticky/grimey?

spavel6, scrapyards are usually dirty, often muddy, nasty places. You can expect to wash your vehicle after leaving a scrapyard.

Might make enough to buy a cheeseburger off the dollar menu at a fast food place.

Not worth the time.

If it's just one engine, I doubt it would be worth your time to separate it by metals. If it was me, I'd remove the head(s) and whatever else parts to make it manageable and toss it with my other scrap until I'm ready to do another run.

I think I'll post a contrary opinion: if you've got nothing else better to do, and enjoy tinkering, I say, tear it apart while enjoying a cold snack. I've wasted more than a few nights accomplishing less.

I would tear it down if you have the time.. "Automotive" steel brings a better price. I was told that by a scrap dealer I go to. He gave me around seven or eight dollars for a pair of brake rotors I was going to pitch.That was a few years ago..

Last edited:
Back