Is it really important to change oil when it is warm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thingfish: "It's important to let the car sit for a while after warming before draining, give some time for the oil to drain back from the upper end."

I let it sit ... but with the drain plug missing. It drains better that way. I also discovered that if I jack up one side of my car 12", let it sit for a few minutes then let it back down ... and repeat this 2-3 times, another 1/3 to 1/2 quart comes out.
smile.gif

thrace: "Once, my oil pump lost its prime. Just sitting overnight ... not even changing the oil."

That doesn't sound right ... what vehicle?

--- Bror Jace

Actually, the best tme to change your oil is after a multi hundred mile trip (say on your way home.) This way not only is the oil hot, but everything in the crankcase that can be put into suspension will be in uspension and, thereby, removed by draining the oil.

I have no choice. By the time I've turned on the engine, back out of the garage, reveresed in back into the garage, got out of the car, pur ramps underneath, drive up ramps, put car in park and use emergency brake, my car is already pretty warm.

I always begin the draining process with the oil as hot as possible (I like to go for a long drive and then do a lot of full throttle runs before I get home so my oil temperature is as hot as can be) But then I let it drain for about 30-60min before I remove the oil filter and then finish up.

Been changing oil professionally for over 30 years. Never had a true burn from hot oil, though some of it is dammed uncomfortable!!!!

No way you're gonna drain it all, drain plug screws into nut on inside of pan. Allways leaves enough to keep oil pump pickup at least partially covered.

Bob

Well I did it! I took a 10 mile trip to town, had breakfast and then drove back. I waited about half an hour and removed the oil filter, no problemo. I then put the new one on after putting a little oil around the gasket. I also put some oil in the filter just for the heck of it although I heard pre-fill is not really necessary (btw, these Honda filters are tiny!!). I was able to screw the filter on easily.

The oil was just a little warm - there was no need for me to worry about a burn but I wore gloves anyway. I unscrewed the plug and just let it flop in the pan with the oil flo. I waited about 15 minutes and there was no more oil draining so I started to install my Fumoto valve. I about never got that thing to screw in there. It was not the valve's fault because eventually it went right in so I must have had it the wrong position at first. I started her up and there were no leaks. The only problem I really had was getting a wrench to tighten the Fumoto. They stress not to overtighten so I just put it there snug. Overall the experience was a success!! Oh, oh - wait - I wonder if I remembered to put the new Havoline in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back