Is it possible to play MP3 music files from Android phones?

I have a Sandisk MP3 player I used for more than 10 years that will not boot anymore. So, I was thinking transferring my MP3 files to my Android phone. Is that possible? How can I play music from my phone to start with? Thanks

Of course you can. There are many player apps, nearly all of which support MP3. To name just 2 among hundreds, VLC is free and open source, and UAPP is not free but it bypasses the Android system resampling for higher quality.

How can I play music from my phone to start with? Thanks
Most phones have a built-in audio player that will play MP3 files. If not, you can download a free player from Play Store.

Then either use headphones or BT speaker to send audio to.

Last edited:
They can all play back mp3 files, but some have very little power out of the headphone jack. If you use bluetooth phones or the built in speaker that doesn't matter of course. It also doesn't matter for in ear phones, but anything a bit more upscale requires more than 10 mW of power.

I use a samsung galaxy S7, it's barely powerful enough to drive my Pioneer se-mx8 headphones. I run them with the volume at 60-70% and that's fine but not loud by any stretch. Going over 80% distorts the sound. On the laptop these phones can go much louder and don't distort.

I'm looking to get a dedicated mp3-player again, something with a decent headphone amp in it as newer android phones (or iphone) might not even have a headphone jack.

Another option is an external dac and amp that connects to the phone by bluetooth or usb, but these are around the same cost as a dedicated mp3 player.

My new headphones arrived today, Samson SR950 (I like closed back headphones as I'm rarely in a quiet place). They are less sensitive than the pioneers, but also less impedance. The volume is even less out of the samsung phone, but so is the distortion. The samsons will be for home use, the pioneers on the go.

All this to say, music out of a phone works in a technical sense but the experience can be good or bad depending on your phone, you headphones and your expectations.

I have a Sandisk MP3 player I used for more than 10 years that will not boot anymore. So, I was thinking transferring my MP3 files to my Android phone. Is that possible? How can I play music from my phone to start with? Thanks
Modern smart phones have replaced the ipod. Your Samsung phone should already have Samsung Music app already installed.

Many don't like the audio quality of MP3's due to compression, so a .wav file would be used instead but takes up more memory space.

If your phone already does not have an app for playing music go to the Play Store and select Samsung music and download it it's free and pretty good.

Many don't like the audio quality of MP3's due to compression, so a .wav file would be used instead but takes up more memory space.
I get a sense that MP3 gets a bad rap because back in the day (mid 90s) the compression algorithm was rather crude and produced a lot of audible artifacts at lower bit rates (say 128 kbps CBR). MP3 encoders have much improved over the years, to the point where even VBR5 setting (variable, around 130 kbps average) sounds good to 90% of people, plus to another 9% that 'think' it sounds bad but couldn't tell it apart in a blind ABX test. Alas, storage space is cheap these days, so no harm using higher bit rates or even lossless compressed formats like FLAC or ALAC.

Of course there are other encoders such as AAC or Opus that are slightly better performers at lower bit rates. Whether you'll notice any difference between them will depend on the quality of your gear, your listening environment, and your age.

I don't think I've come across a bad MP3 encoder in recent years. Which specific ones are you referring to?

Not bad encoders just bad encodings. Lord knows who made them, when they made them or how. There's highs missing in the best case.. some have a lot of encoding noise though. Bitrate doesn't seem to be a factor.

When I switched from iPhone to Android, I converted my entire iTunes library to MP3 format and loaded it onto a MicroSD card which I have used with the couple Android phones I've since had, including my current one.

For the longest time I used VLC Media Player but eventually it became buggy and every single time I opened the app I would have to re-select all my media folders then wait for it to parse all the files and all that crap.

Switched to an app called "pi music player" and no issues yet

Download your MP3's to an Micro SD card and install the card into your phone. There's dozens upon dozens of Android apps that will play music.

Since I'm an open-source kinda guy and don't like adds and unnecessary permissions, I use a player called "Auxio" and it's super simple.
Actually, the other one I use is called "Simple Music Player" and it too has minimal permissions.

- Off topic, but IMHO, users need to look at supporting apps that don't invade privacy etc.

I actually use those when I'm at the gym. 39.99 at BB.

Work for me, I probably am one of the last people with wired ear buds...

Back