Is it possible to lower the range of your router ?

Depends on the router. If your router allows you to install 3rd party firmware, then some 3rd party firmwares have an option to reduce transmit power. Not sure if stock firmware has that option.

Focus on high security and forget about limiting the range range.

Or build a house like mine in the middle of the woods. No neighbor close enough to get any WIFI signal.

Add a VPN to your computer setup,

Disabling the lower frequency will limit the range some.
2.5ghz=slower speeds at higher range. 5ghz=faster speeds at lower range.
Its not a terrible idea really.

This is like giving a thief the key to your car and saying on well it only has 1/4 tank of fuel 😜

Or you can not give the thief the key in the first place...?

put lt inside something. move it to basement etc
I wouldn't recommend this. WiFi operates at such a low power it's already handicapped. You want good coverage in your house, if you purposely attenuate the signal, your coverage and throughput will suffer.

Signal goes well over 300 feet
Ignore this. If you take your phone 300' away from your access point and try to get any quality throughput, you'll likely see is there really is no connection. "Hearing" an SSID is much different than having a quality connection.

I really disagree with the sentiment.
A wifi network that a neighbor doesn't see is definately more secure all other things being equal.
Nobody is saying to have crap security settings in one case versus the other.

This is like giving a thief the key to your car and saying on well it only has 1/4 tank of fuel 😜

Or you can not give the thief the key in the first place...?
Nope, its like having a ferrari in a garage that no one knows is there versus a ferrari on display for every passer by to see.
But then again people don't usually steal ferraris, so maybe replace that example with a pickup truck.

Google your router and “router settings” to start with. Follow the instructions.

What size house do you live in? I lowered power settings in my previous condo to be a good neighbor and minimize interference (luckily a larger numberbof my neighbors were on congested channels and only one was between desirable channels). Now that I live in a neighborhood, my 2.4/5 are both maxed out. I get OK reception in my basement on the complete opposite side of the house; however, nothing much as soon as I leave my driveway l, which is on the same side as the router and near a window.

Finally, someone has really got to want to hack you as an individual for you to be high risk. This is of a higher risk in an inner-city condo than a neighborhood, so take that into account too. Unless said hacker targets you for some reason (angry BITOGER!?) being hacked through your own router signal is pretty low risk.

You could use one of these....they limit emf radiation for people concerned about that......🤪

Disabling the lower frequency will limit the range some.
2.5ghz=slower speeds at higher range. 5ghz=faster speeds at lower range.
Its not a terrible idea really.
Too many devices, even 'new' ones that don't talk 5 ghz. My ecobee t-stat and Kasa smart switches and outlets only do 2.4 ghz.

Not sure if stock firmware has that option.
If I'm not mistaken, any stock firmware that's been updated after some date had to remove the options / settings for adjusting power levels. This is only for the US and US-specific firmware and is due to an FCC regulation. 3rd-party firmware is typically "global" and may or may not care about US regulations.

The best way is to prevent the router transmitter from stepping down to low data rates. With a given power, high rates can only be received for a limited distance. Ordinarily the data rate reduces as necessary to serve far away users, but in this situation you don't want that.

Reducing the power instead makes it necessary to use low rates all the time, which reduces performance.

This is the cell_density setting in OpenWrt. I kind of doubt that any factory firmware offers this capability.

Every wifi router has antenna. You can reduce the power to reduce the range of your router's wifi, but I am not sure if you laptop / cell phone will increase its power to compensate for it though (I know they do on cellular network but not sure about wifi), because they may think you are far away so it needs to increase power to get to the router. If everyone do this it would also reduce interference from each other, makes it easier for everyone to have enough bandwidth in high density area.

Turning off 2.4G is not good, I would not do that. You still want to reach things within the house right?

Update firmware as soon as security update is released, update to newer router if old one is obsoleted due to security issue, that's about all you can do.

Back