Is it a good ACEA C3 oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: chrisri
All oils in your spec would have similar performance in practice.

If it would be true, I'd simply go for Selenia - it's not overly expensive and quite easily available. But at Fiat specs there are oils with NOACK of 5% and 13% - I wouldn't say it's similar performance... TBN for all ACEA C3 oils will be probably between 6 and 8.

You could also look at additional approvals (on top of s2) when choosing oil like MB 229.51 specification. MB 229.51 is a very strict spec.[/quote]

That's what I've read, but I cannot find detailed FIAT 9.5535-S2 and MB 229.51 specs anywhere.

Widely available and probably better than Selenia is Motul 8100 X-clean 5W-40 and that is the one I'm primarily thinking of.

Last edited:
not true, FIAt S2 is pretty much MB 229.51. Besides the petronas/selenia lubricants made specifically for fiat, the only other oils that carry the FIAT spec (or claim to meet it) also have the MB 229.51 certification.

Cuore_sportivo: did you know the 2014 cars are now specced to use 5w-30 aswell? this can broaden yoursearch a bit, as there's quite a few 5w-30 oils with HTHS > 3.5. The kinematic viscosity of those oils at 100°c is often within 10% of each other, regardless of viscosity grade.

Originally Posted By: 29662
HTHS seems a little low for a 40 weight. The TBN isn't very exciting either. It does however have a good pour point and an excellent NOACK%.

Ok i'll bite. What is it?

Mobil 1 0w-40 HTHS is 3.6 this is >3.5 what do you mean too low ?

Last edited:
Yes, it's true meeting MB 229.51 basically means meeting FIAT S2. Still, it's difficult to find a full syn that would spec 5W-40 and MB 229.51.

Actually, for some time 0W-30 was accepted, but now it's back to 5W-40 and MultiAir is very oil sensible:
https://www.motul.com/lv/en/news/products-innovation/fiat-multiair-a-lubricant-based-technology

Which means I'm looking for a 5W-40 above all specifically (that is mentioned in CAPITAL LETTERS in the handbook).
I'm not too worried about HTHS (ACEA C3 means >=3.5 anyway), more about the sludge buildup in the engine that I came across in two forums.

Last edited:
@ Cuore_Sportivo

Looks like we have the same engine
smile.gif

Stay away from 0w30, they usually have a HTHS between 2,9 and 3,5
You need a 5w40 to stay in the manufacturer's demands.

There's also Castrol Magnatec 5w40 C3, with the FIAT...S2 spec, but with MB231.1, not 251.1
Never used it, though.

Last edited:
Correction, it has MB229.31, not 229.51

For Shell Helix Ultra 5w40, it has MB229.5 (sort of MB229.51, but less TWC/aftertreatement friendly, and less Fuel Economy...so what!? not that important!)
IT also has FIAT....Z2(??? Never found the meaning of this spec, anyway)
This will probably be my next oil.

Last edited:
I'm not from Fr, I'm just working here
wink.gif

I don't have any exp with X-Clean.
However, I've used Motul 8100 X-Cess 5w40 on the Fiat (v. good polish-made little car, btw).
Was by far the worst ever. Slow and painful acceleration, fast deceleration when right foot off the gas pedal, noisy, vibrating, high fuel consumption.
Won't use it again, never!

BTW, Lukoil Genesis Premium 5w40 (all-black 4L jug) is MB229.51 and Porsche A40. I had (and have) good experiences with Lukoil.

Last edited:
I have the diesel version of the same car, and been using FIAT 9.55535-S2 oil in it, because of the higher HTHS (fuel dilution etc, which is also possible on the Multiair).

I used Castrol Edge FST 5w-40 turbo diesel, but I find this oil gives off a lot of fumes, when you open the filler cap and it was even running down the MAF into the air filter and onto the filter housing.

So I've been searching an equivalent also. I'm going to get Total quartz 9000 energy 0w40. Slighly higher in Saps than a C3 or C2, but still qualifies as an A3/B4 and I believe carries MB 229.5 and BMW LL-01. PAO/ester blend, not hydrocracked and gets excellent user reports here on the forum. so close to a w40, the engine won't know the difference once hot. Cheap aswell, you could do 2 oil changes for the price of 1 specialty oil change, and 3 or more compared to dealer oil prices...

also look at Elf Excellium Full-Tech 0w-30. Exact same oil but older name.

Doesn't sludge get formed when the oxidation stability gets depleted? so the answer woud be to use a higher saps oil or more frequent oil changes, or both....

Basically I'm almost certain to take Motul 8100 X-clean 5W-40 instead of Motorex. If nobody in Switzerland has heard about it, I'm a bit afraid of the additive package - while the base might be superior to the other oils, nobody knows how the whole package will work in the engine...
About the Motul - I've read in a few places that this is mostly HC oil, but the German site states it's "vollsynthetisch". Is it a full syn?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cuore_Sportivo

If nobody in Switzerland has heard about it, I'm a bit afraid of the additive package - while the base might be superior to the other oils, nobody knows how the whole package will work in the engine...

Well, it is known here, but our shelves mostly are covered with Shell, Castrol and Valvoline ...

The best way for you to make a decision is to find some UOA of the particular oil you are willing to buy.

Originally Posted By: volodymyr
Well, it is known here, but our shelves mostly are covered with Shell, Castrol and Valvoline ...

The best way for you to make a decision is to find some UOA of the particular oil you are willing to buy.

No wonder, when it's 2 times more expensive you won't find it at your local supermarket
smile.gif
. Don't think there will be any UOAs of Motorex anywhere...

Yes, I've found that one, but is hard to judge about the oil based on a totally different one.
SELECT SP-X 5W-40 has the same ACEA C3-10 and API SN specs but FS-X has NOACK of 4.2, while SP-X has 8.7...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back