Is Castrol Power RS Group III now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They changed the base oil section on the MSDS as of 01/25/16 to "Base oil-highly refined." I thought it was listed as PAO the last time I looked, although it has been much cheaper than competitor's Group V products. Does anyone for sure if this change indicates a Group III base oil?

Castrol 10W50 MSDS

If it is highly refined, that is usually code for a Group III. PAO is Group IV, and then there is ester based and whatnot in Group V.

BP has a culture of cost cutting to maximize profits, so it would not surprise me to see it happening here also.

Its likely been Grp III for a long time. They also don't appear to publish actual HTHS values per product and instead show compliance to the minimum HTHS threshold for the given viscosity.

Yeah, so Real Synthetic (RS) is now just like all the USA synthetics, just fancy Dino oil too
frown.gif

I'm not knocking Group III as I'm a huge fan of Delo400 and other oils that use a fair chunk of G-III. But I'd like one refiner to actually keep making real synthetics other than Motul and Ravenol...

Originally Posted By: Pontual
Esters are biodegradable and has no environment hazard? So it doesn't get mention in MSDS.

Lots of things do not get mentioned in SDS listings, but jumping to conclusions based on what isn't listed doesn't do much good.

The question here wasn't whether there is any synthetic content at all but rather if the formula switched from PAO to synthetic for its main base oil. Considering they are listing the group III at 75%-90% of the formula, I think that is a pretty safe to assume that they did if it was not previously included.

It could also be that this has been the formula for some time and the SDSs are just going through updates recently. A lot of companies are still trying to catch up with GHS compliance right now.

I just threw-away (last week) data spec' and MSDS sheets on this oil in 5w40. Nothing I remember indicated anything other than Group III. Another thing I specifically remember about this oil was for one of the JASO MA2 requirements (I don't remember which one) this oil only met the minimum standard.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back