Is Bar's Head Gasket Fix worth the $38 price for a head gasket leak?

Subaru's coolant additive does work, in some situations, and it's repackaged Holt's radweld.

First it's being sold by Orielly hence the high price. Second it probably won't work for a head gasket. Third head gasket job is not a hard job and well worth the work.

Yes! It's awesome and works great :D

I can definitely vouch for this product. The Bars Leaks HG-1 fixed the head gasket leak on my Subaru EJ25D. It's been good so far (6 months). This is the one I used. When I bought it, there was a $10 rebate, and you only need to use half the bottle unless the cooling system is huge.

And even if it doesn't work on your SBC, at least crate engines are widely available, so you can just replace it anyway :sneaky:

Another good head gasket sealer is Blue Devil Pour N Go.

ChrisFix on YouTube used the Bars Leaks HG-1, and it worked for 2 years/10k. There is a thread on BITOG for it.

Depends on where the leak is. I used it once and was (is) successful after 6 months so far on chevy 5.3 with 220k miles that had a very mild leak.

That said, always best to replace the gasket.

Copper worked for me. ;)
1666294960863.jpg

Is the coolant mixing with the oil or is there just an external coolant leak?

I was tempted to use HG sealer once. Once I removed the valve cover and discovered that loose head bolts were the real problem, I was glad that I didn't try the fix in a bottle.

Back