Is anyone saving copper pennies?

I have been saving copper pennies my whole life. Me and my dad have several probably at least 500. The gas station saves them for us. But we are collectors we would never melt them down that is crazy. We collect all currency so we have a little bit of everything but copper pennies is something we definitely have the most of.

I have 2 bank bags of rolled copper pennies from the 70’s. Got them as a gift been sitting on a garage shelf for 10-15 years. Still waiting 🤣
You might have some real beauties sitting in there, who knows maybe even a few Indian heads? Worth going through, just for the fun of it.
I have been saving copper pennies my whole life. Me and my dad have several probably at least 500. The gas station saves them for us. But we are collectors we would never melt them down that is crazy. We collect all currency so we have a little bit of everything but copper pennies is something we definitely have the most of.

I don't think I would melt them down, looks like a PITA. I used to collect when I was younger, I was totally into it. Now that I can afford more expensive coins I am not interested in collecting just because of the scale of the hobby, but finding a few rare dates would be a nice bonus. I still run across nickels from 1938-39 occasionally and still trying to find a 1909 S-VDB.

I guess an ever better machine than a copper / zinc sorter would be one that could read dates, either via machine learning / OCR capability and then sort based on rarity. Who knows, maybe something like this exists privately for some hard core coin collectors.

I think assuming 25% of the pennies in circulation are pre-'82 is wishful thinking.
It's probably a high estimate. I made few bags of copper cents like 12 years ago when people were making a big deal about how some pennies might equal 2 cents worth of copper. Somewhere cluttering up my house is some bags of copper cents doing nothing for me still.

Some people have skimmed these out of circulation for a while now.

Digging thru piles of pennies, to "double" your potential value on the theoretical copper melt value, seems like a massive waste of time. It's a penny. Best case, you double your money to two pennies. Not worth even thinking about it IMO unless you're a coin bug looking for those ultra rare pennies worth - say 15 cents. lol.

No, I have 1 life and it's not going to be hunting thru pennies. I glance at my change to see if it looks noteworthy before dumping it in the coin counters.

I'm sorry to break anyone's bubble, but if you think you can even get $100.00 dollars' worth of pennies from a bank even with a commercial account that shows you use, and exchange $100.00 dollars' worth of coin per Week/Month, you're living in a delusionary state of mind. It isn't going to happen, just try and get 200 rolls of pennies from your bank.

Report back.

Think about the value of your time in dollars per hour, and the time it would take to obtain the coins, sift through them, reroll them and then go to the bank for more. Vs your potential return.

I'd forget the pennies, and start stacking away some silver. Takes less time and effort.

Think about the value of your time in dollars per hour, and the time it would take to obtain the coins, sift through them, reroll them and then go to the bank for more. Vs your potential return.

I'd forget the pennies, and start stacking away some silver. Takes less time and effort.

I'm afraid there is not much left out in circulation. Every once in a while, I find a dime, and I know what I'm looking at!
29 years ago, I bought a bag of $1000.00 face value Quarters and Dimes for about $1300.00 Dollars. I was thinking about buying some more since I already had a pretty sizable collection of PCGS investment grade gold coins. The precious metal/coin dealer I was buying from asked me where I would store say 5 bags of $1K face value of silver coins. He mentioned I would not want to pay the safe deposit box fee's for "Face Value Silver Coins". I realized he was right. 29 years later, he is still kinda right, but dang, the stuff has turned to gold!

This is just a random internet coin sales place, I have no idea of its reputation, but this price is ridicules! Don't buy, don't buy, don't buy!!! Total rip-off....

I'm afraid there is not much left out in circulation. Every once in a while, I find a dime, and I know what I'm looking at!
29 years ago, I bought a bag of $1000.00 face value Quarters and Dimes for about $1300.00 Dollars. I was thinking about buying some more since I already had a pretty sizable collection of PCGS investment grade gold coins. The precious metal/coin dealer I was buying from asked me where I would store say 5 bags of $1K face value of silver coins. He mentioned I would not want to pay the safe deposit box fee's for "Face Value Silver Coins". I realized he was right. 29 years later, he is still kinda right, but dang, the stuff has turned to gold!

This is just a random internet coin sales place, I have no idea of its reputation, but this price is ridicules! Don't buy, don't buy, don't buy!!! Total rip-off....

I meant buy silver, like bars or silver eagles. I did not mean sort though dimes and quarters too.
Too much time and effort.

Yeah those and worse on ebay are a rip.

As far as Ag bullion, 2-3 years back, the ebay deals WERE the go to. Just a bit over spot. NOW try to find anyone selling $1 over spot. Most are $3-$4 OZ OVER spot.

Yeah those and worse on ebay are a rip.

As far as Ag bullion, 2-3 years back, the ebay deals WERE the go to. Just a bit over spot. NOW try to find anyone selling $1 over spot. Most are $3-$4 OZ OVER spot.
I'd worry about counterfeit plated bars from ebay.

I meant buy silver, like bars or silver eagles. I did not mean sort though dimes and quarters too.
Too much time and effort.
I think it would be dang near impossible to find any silver in circulation now.

I had some pennies jangling with some other coins recently, and I realized that I have never gotten used to the sound of non-copper pennies. They just don't feel or sound right to me--still, after so many years.

Back