Is ACEA A3 compatible with the Duratec 3.0 V6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings from Europe.

I have a Mondeo with the Duratec 3.0 V6 engine, it has done 86,000 miles. I am concerned that the standard Motorcraft oil is not really suitable for my driving style. Picture driving round the Nurburgring with an ambient temperature of 25°C, or sat on the autobahn at 150mph for 45 minutes straight - I get the feeling ACEA A1 is'nt the best choice.

1. Ford Mondeo 3.0 V6
2. Desired & currently used: 5W-30 meeting WSS-M2C913-B specification & ACEA A1/B1.
Compatible but not recommended: 5W-40 meeting ACEA A1/B1 or ACEA A3/B3.
3. Small town.
4. Once warm, flat out everywhere.
5. Mix of town and motorway.
6. Consumes roughly 500ml of oil every 6,000 miles (oil is changed every 6,000 miles or every 5 months).

Would this be suitable?;

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-60251-millers-oils-xf-longlife-3-5w-30.aspx

or I could play it safe and go with A5/B5 that meets Ford standards (though offers no better shear resistance?);

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-991-fuchs-ti...engine-oil.aspx

Constructive input is appreciated, thanks.

150 mph for 45 minutes straight? How many r.p.m. are you turning at that point? I would use a highly rated synthetic rated at A5/B5 as you chaps rate oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hemi426
I would use a highly rated synthetic rated at A5/B5 as you chaps rate oil.

Why? ACEA A5 has lower HT/HS than ACEA A3, and in his case, he'd most likely want a high HT/HS oil.

Those 3 liter Duratec engines run in 115 degree heat in the southwest US on 5w20 and do fine. I think the Ford recommended oil will do just fine in your Mondeo.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
Those 3 liter Duratec engines run in 115 degree heat in the southwest US on 5w20 and do fine. I think the Ford recommended oil will do just fine in your Mondeo.

Outside temp is not very relevant. What is relevant is that he's running the engine at very high speeds for extended periods of time. I doubt anyone in texas runs them at 150 mph for 45 mins at a time...

Originally Posted By: Hemi426
150 mph for 45 minutes straight? How many r.p.m. are you turning at that point? I would use a highly rated synthetic rated at A5/B5 as you chaps rate oil.

About 5,500rpm.

I am leaning towards the Millers as I can't see anything wrong with it?

I would try an A3/4, given Vis doesnt matter as much ALA HTHS >3.5 is maintained. So a XW30 with A3/4 would work, like Motul XMAX BMW LL-01 5w-30 or Total Quartz 9000. Also Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 or similar marginal 40W ar worth a go.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back