Irwin Master Extractor Set

Mfg's website: https://www.irwin.com/tools/screw-bolt-extractors/35-pc-screw-extractor-drill-bit-set

Seems like a fairly complete kit for smaller fasteners. The only difference between this kit and their 48-pc is the bolt extractors, which I already own.

Does anyone have experience with this kit?

None with the kit but I do have the small set of screw extractors. They have worked well and most importantly they have not broken off in the screw but as with all things hardened like taps and these you do have to be careful. You dont get much if any flex warning, they just break. I prefer to use screw machine drill bits when I can because they are half the length of jobber bits and dont flex so much while you are trying to keep the bit centered. Then I go back with a larger reverse bit

When I was gainfully employed I would carry with me 3 different styles of extractors because they work different . Yes reverse drill bits were a nice thing to have and some times you would have to grind out the broken bolt pick the left over metal out.

I prefer the separate sets.

Never needed left-hand drill bits. But, Irwin has a small set along with all the in the kit listed solo.

Mfg's website: https://www.irwin.com/tools/screw-bolt-extractors/35-pc-screw-extractor-drill-bit-set

Seems like a fairly complete kit for smaller fasteners. The only difference between this kit and their 48-pc is the bolt extractors, which I already own.

Does anyone have experience with this kit?
I don't own that but do yourself a favor and stay clear of spiral extractors, you break on of those off and you are worse than screwed.
Get the fluted style from Proto, Snap on, Meyhew, etc. and Chicago Latrobe left handed bits. The benefit of fluted is if one does break and all extractors do you can drill a small hole next to them without going very deep in it and get them out, you will have a bad time doing that with spirals.

Irwin isn't what it once was, I don't buy their stuff (I do have some old stuff that is decent), it just isn't good enough for real work, their taps are not much better than chasers, when you compare them to real high end taps the difference is clearly night and day.

Edit: I have a old Blue Point Made in USA set that is this type and very good.

Last edited:
I have that set. There is no one extractor set or extraction method that will get every bolt out every time. I like the left handed drill bits for drilling because if I have to drill, I may as well drill in reverse on the chance that the bit grabs enough to back the bolt out.

I don't own that but do yourself a favor and stay clear of spiral extractors, you break on of those off and you are worse than screwed.
Get the fluted style from Proto, Snap on, Meyhew, etc. and Chicago Latrobe left handed bits. The benefit of fluted is if one does break and all extractors do you can drill a small hole next to them without going very deep in it and get them out, you will have a bad time doing that with spirals.

Irwin isn't what it once was, I don't buy their stuff (I do have some old stuff that is decent), it just isn't good enough for real work, their taps are not much better than chasers, when you compare them to real high end taps the difference is clearly night and day.

Edit: I have a old Blue Point Made in USA set that is this type and very good.

Thanks. Have you used the MAC RBRT line of square extractors?

No I haven't but I will soon, after seeing your and JHZR2 post on them I ordered a set form zoro with a 20% they sent me. I hope they will make them in long 3/8 drive and ball end.
The ones I linked above are their square extractors. JHRZ2 and I bought their hex sockets. They do have ball hex with the rbrt technology if you want to pay the MAC mark-up:

Thanks for that, those are the ones I really need. The question is do I need them almost $200 worth or wait till Proto has them or just buy the 5 and 6mm what I use most of this type from the truck for now when I see him.

Thanks for that, those are the ones I really need. The question is do I need them almost $200 worth or wait till Proto has them or just buy the 5 and 6mm what I use most of this type from the truck for now when I see him.
Seems like MAC runs $50-$60 off different RBRT sets every month. The torx ones were on discount in Feb ($135) and this month it is their bolt extractor sockets. I would wait until they have those on sale since the savings are substantial. I heard that you can call into MAC Tools and ask for the discounted pricing if your truck does not participate.

Just my opinion but....
Extractors are a WASTE OF MONEY. when you nee them, accessibility seems to be a problem...and there is the risk of breakage of the extractor, and you got to drill a hole for the extractor anyway... so just go jobber length left hand drill bits and a right angle drill attachment and drill it all out and use Heli-Coil.

I feel that is the best/fastest method, it was on a cramped 250 Suzuki ATV exhaust stud that snapped clean off!

Back