iPhone repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife has an iPhone SE 16GB is finally done with(fighting out of space) She dropped it and the touch screen stopped working and has half of it with vertical lines running thru it. No glass damage and fully functional with Apple car play.

Any one have experience trying to repair this fault (lines and touch screen not responding).

Originally Posted by madRiver
My wife has an iPhone SE 16GB is finally done with(fighting out of space) She dropped it and the touch screen stopped working and has half of it with vertical lines running thru it. No glass damage and fully functional with Apple car play.

Any one have experience trying to repair this fault (lines and touch screen not responding).
It'll need a touchscreen (digitizer) & glass replacement, there are a lot of independents around here that can do it, or it is possible to DIY. Or, just buy a new SE, the 32 GB ones are still available. Some of the prepaid carriers have ones locked to their network for under $140.

My iPhone 5c done a similar glass / monitor / touch screen combo repair. You buy a replacement assembly (make sure you buy the one with everything included, like back light, touch screen, LCD, etc), wait for a couple weeks (from China or Hong Kong usually), then install it yourself (it comes with the screw driver, suction cup, and guitar pick). The only problem is the screen's color seem a bit "bluish" and a few spot brighter than the others. The parts including tools is around $20 shipped.

For an old phone it is not a big deal, but would be bad for a brand new latest model top of the line phone.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bullwinkle

It'll need a touchscreen (digitizer) & glass replacement, there are a lot of independents around here that can do it, or it is possible to DIY. Or, just buy a new SE, the 32 GB ones are still available. Some of the prepaid carriers have ones locked to their network for under $140.

+1 on getting a new SE. It's probably not a whole lot more than the cost of a screen repair, and it would have at least twice the memory of the current phone.

I picked up a new unlocked SE from Apple for $250 two months ago. Ordered online, shipped to a nearby Apple store.

Keep checking this Apple site. Choose other colors and capacities, sometimes only one combination is available. Apple has been releasing them in dribs and drabs since the beginning of the year. They sell out in a day when available.

I would echo those suggesting to buy a new SE. Of course it's possible to repair (ifixit.com is a really good resource for the DIYer) - but you would still be needing for space with only 16GB. Keep an eye open for a refurb unit from Apple. Like has been mentioned, they can be had for $200-300 and come with a full warranty from Apple. I've purchased several refurb products directly from Apple and have been very happy with them.

FWIW my wife is in a similar situation with her iPhone 6s. She likes the smaller form factor of the SE, so we are keeping an eye on stock and will likely purchase a 128GB model when Apple gets them in stock.

DIY with a complete assembly (you might as well do battery replacement) or if you fear breaking more stuff, just follow others advices (buying brand new Android phones or a refurb Apple).

My brother bought a Ulefone Armor 5 after breaking many phones while working. maybe you should have a look at the Ulefone Armor product line.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
For 199.99 you can replace that with a new Samsung J7 with 32 GB.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...e-unlocked-black/6267025.p?skuId=6267025

Believe it or not you don't need a $900 cellphone.

Believe it or not the SE isn't a $900 phone. Nor would an iPhone user be happy with an Android.

You can buy the locked Iphone SE for as low as $50. I wouldn't spend any money to repair it.

Originally Posted by Variant_S
Originally Posted by bullwinkle

+1 on getting a new SE. It's probably not a whole lot more than the cost of a screen repair, and it would have at least twice the memory of the current phone.

I picked up a new unlocked SE from Apple for $250 two months ago. Ordered online, shipped to a nearby Apple store.

Keep checking this Apple site. Choose other colors and capacities, sometimes only one combination is available. Apple has been releasing them in dribs and drabs since the beginning of the year. They sell out in a day when available.
Dang, a new unlocked 128 GB SE for only $299?? Not bad.

I completely agree with this. Why do people think they need a $1000 phone to find satisfaction? It baffles me. My buddy was just bragging to me that his bought his fiancee a new $1,200. I wan't impressed. Just bought my wife a NEW iPhone 6s yesterday for $200. It should serve her well for the next 3 years.

Originally Posted by RonRonnster
FWIW my wife is in a similar situation with her iPhone 6s. She likes the smaller form factor of the SE, so we are keeping an eye on stock and will likely purchase a 128GB model when Apple gets them in stock.

What's wrong with your wife's 6S? The SE and 6S are essentially the same phone, except the SE is a little smaller, with a slightly smaller screen. The form factor simply isn't that much of a difference to worry about, IMO. Actually, we have a 5S as a backup phone and it's not much different than my 7 work phone, all things considered.

Last fall, my wife and I upgraded our phones to XR's, since Verizon was offering them BOGO. They even offered me $100 for trade-in of my 6+, which is what I paid for it a few years ago! Barring a loss due to damage, I expect this phone will last us each another 3-5 years.

Gee, I have a 4 and a 5c and have no interest in upgrading. The 4 is my wife's and she has an iPad for wifi work at home. The 5c does all I need.

The SE is nice. If it's already locked to your iCloud account and biometrics (?), I'd get it fixed at a good local shop and carry on
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by gregk24

I completely agree with this. Why do people think they need a $1000 phone to find satisfaction? It baffles me. My buddy was just bragging to me that his bought his fiancee a new $1,200. I wan't impressed. Just bought my wife a NEW iPhone 6s yesterday for $200. It should serve her well for the next 3 years.

Same reason people buy luxury cars when all they need is a Camry Corolla. Or a giant OLED TV when they could get by with a standard LCD. Or any number of other things. It brings them joy, let people enjoy the things they enjoy.

Last edited:

Believe it or not the SE isn't a $900 phone. Nor would an iPhone user be happy with an Android.

You have no idea how many Apple users and developers jumping ship (and the other way around) when money, styles, features, etc are involved. It is not a Dos vs Mac days nor a Nokia brick vs iPhone 3G days anymore.

Originally Posted by PandaBear

You have no idea how many Apple users and developers jumping ship (and the other way around) when money, styles, features, etc are involved. It is not a Dos vs Mac days nor a Nokia brick vs iPhone 3G days anymore.

After the 5 flagship androids I've had, I'll never go back, let alone buy a low end model.

As for people jumping ship, I think that's more to do with people realizing just how much these phones really are. A Galaxy s10e is $749, same as an iPhone XR. The iPhone XS and XS Max is only $100 more than the Galaxy S10 and S10+. Only issue is, Apple doesn't offer a low end, cheap phone.

So iPhone is good for recycler.

Android is of no interest to her. She returned one once.

She'll figure out if she wants an iPhone 6s vs XR 128GB.

So iPhone is good for recycler.

Android is of no interest to her. She returned one once.

She'll figure out if she wants an iPhone 6s vs XR 128GB.

I bought a 64gb iPhone 6s last year off a coworker for $180 for my wife. Apple and T-Mobile are both offering $200 to trade it in for one of the new ones right now. Quick look online shows them going for about that now.

Originally Posted by gathermewool
Originally Posted by RonRonnster

What's wrong with your wife's 6S? The SE and 6S are essentially the same phone, except the SE is a little smaller, with a slightly smaller screen. The form factor simply isn't that much of a difference to worry about, IMO. Actually, we have a 5S as a backup phone and it's not much different than my 7 work phone, all things considered.

Last fall, my wife and I upgraded our phones to XR's, since Verizon was offering them BOGO. They even offered me $100 for trade-in of my 6+, which is what I paid for it a few years ago! Barring a loss due to damage, I expect this phone will last us each another 3-5 years.

It's a 16gb model that's close to 4 or 5 years old now. Battery is shot and it's been well used. The phone owes us nothing - it's been great for the entire time she's owned it. She is just needing something new, but isn't interested in the X or XS. Might go with an 8 too - but she likes the SE form factor (small hands) and can't beat the price for it when Apple has them in stock.

Wife bought the iPhone XR 128GB for $700 cash handing in her old iPhone SE 16GB($100) that was broken. She charmed the sales person into taking the trade as the glass and condition was perfect except for unresponsive screen with lines thru it.

She is happy with it as its her first upper end phone that takes pictures well and loves the large screen (our eyes are going bad).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back