Investing Strategies. What is your move?

In Canada, those who are into longish term investing can use TFSA self directed trading accounts while investing into crypto ETFs.
The way it works - one opens such account at their bank (not all banks have this) and deposits cash up to their TFSA limit. When they feel or know ETFs price is right to buy - buy and hold till ETFs price is much higher, then sell and do what you want with the cash, no taxes to pay on profits since it's a TFSA account (tax free savings account). Frequent buy/sell would be considered trading rather than investment and be likely taxed thou.

****. Got my thrift savings plan 401k (or 403b?) and it’s pretty much split between life cycle 2030 and 2040 plans. 17.45% rate of return this calendar year.

Thank you fund managers.

If only I didn’t roll most of it over back in the day. Stupid me.

****. Got my thrift savings plan 401k (or 403b?) and it’s pretty much split between life cycle 2030 and 2040 plans. 17.45% rate of return this calendar year.
For comparison, my portfolio portion still in my 403B had 12.50% interest with conservative selections because I'm very near retirement.

Young people - invest early and stay the course. And pray. Thank you for supporting my baby boomer Social Security.

Last edited:
For comparison, my portfolio portion still in my 403B had 12.50% interest with conservative selections because I'm very near retirement.

Young people - invest early and stay the course. And pray. Thank you for supporting my baby boomer Social Security.
Yes, praying is a very important component for planning for retirement.

Unfortunately many financial advisors work on commission and steer their clients into very terrible , high risk investment products. These vultures will constantly ‘churn’ the account to reap maximum gains for their pocket while client loses money. I’ve seen this on TV show American Greed.

You can buy and sell very low cost (expense ratio) Vanguard ETFs and mutual funds that are commission free as long you have a Vanguard account, same goes for a Fidelity account and their line excellent ETFs and mutual funds.

When my 4 kids turned 18, I opened Roth IRAs in their name and funded it for the first year to get the snowball rolling and now they max out the yearly contribution.

Feb 2022 ^^^

My 4 kids (22-26) now see the importance of funding their IRA and 401K / 403B as early as possible not waiting till their mid 30’s to get serious about retirement.

Back