Interview Attire for Automotive Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't know… Some positions a casual appearance might be OK. Some people might want to see more. I was always taught, and have always believed that for an interview suit and tie were the recipe. It shows respect, and willingness to go the extra mile because you are interested in the job.

I actually have a second interview today, suit optional… But guess what I will be wearing it.

Being a govt position i would show as much professionalism as possible. Buying some clothes just for this may be worth it in the long run. Those benefits and the job security far outweigh the lower pay. I'm not sure if a suit is the way to go but i doubt it would hurt. I hope you get the job!

Thanks!

I already have a government (federal benefits) position but a couple local county's benefits seem far better and their outlooks seem more stable.

I once got a (mechanic) job because no matter how much I washed my hands, I could not get all the oil stains off. I was wearing a jacket, no tie.

The best thing is to dress smart but not overdress. Emulate the guy on the left and you should have no problem
[Linked Image]

I've interviewed and hired hundreds of people.

I always recommend dressing about as you would while doing the job you're applying for. Doing it very neatly with an organized look, don't look sloppy. It's no time to show off your latest tattoos or piercings. I don't care if you have them, but some people do.

At times I've not hired people when they showed significantly overdressed for the job.

Belt, slacks, long sleeve dress shirt crisp, leather shoes polished, clean white T-shirt, take a shower, and brush your chiclet's prior have a positive attitude.

I've never dressed up for a mechanic position interview. I just go down to Dickie's & buy some new work clothes.....Button down shirt, EMT cargo pant, & Leather belt. Some new work boots from Justin if my old ones are looking ratty.

Wearing loose clothing & not tucking in your shirt not only looks sloppy.....But can be hazardous in a work environment, I probably wouldn't hire a mechanic if he interviewed as such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back