Interstate Battery

2012 Impala had a Duralast Battery that lasted 4 years. Hopefully Interstate Battery will last. Bought from Goodyear for cheaper than Wal-Mart or Autozone. Got call last night stating she was getting gas and went to start and nothing thanks Duralast.. Jump started to get home.

if you dont drive ENOUGH on the highway charging with a good battery charger is NECESSARY!! i use a CTek 4,3 muse + my interstate is 7+ YO, my oldest on my 13 Vic Hammer is OE!!! no matter the brand it must be kept charged to live longer!!

2012 Impala had a Duralast Battery that lasted 4 years. Hopefully Interstate Battery will last. Bought from Goodyear for cheaper than Wal-Mart or Autozone. Got call last night stating she was getting gas and went to start and nothing thanks Duralast.. Jump started to get home.
Louisiana heat does not help battery longevity.

No one knows what quality of battery the multitude of brands buy from manufacturers so the only way to select a battery is cost divided by years of 100% replacement warranty. Treat the battery purchase as a service contract. Vendors who buy better batteries from manufacturers will back them with better warranties. If they buy junk and offer a long warranty then they will lose money not you.

hard to know anymore with batteries from any manufacturer...I would think their bottom line is the almighty dollar. get less and pay more. that said I have an interstate that's going on 7 years now, i haven't done a thing to it

Louisiana heat does not help battery longevity.
I tend to agree. The battery in my van is original with build date of 12/17 so 6 years. In last vehicle a Walmart battery lasted 2 years like clockwork and the Duralast has a Date of 12/19 so that one lasted 4 years.

hard to know anymore with batteries from any manufacturer...I would think their bottom line is the almighty dollar. get less and pay more. that said I have an interstate that's going on 7 years now, i haven't done a thing to it
I've had great luck with Interstates, usually last 10+ years for me. But I stay on top of them which I'm sure helps 😉

What are there now in the USA? Two? Battery manufacturers that make everything? I like the 36 month ACDELCO batteries from mMenards. Made in Korea by Yuasa. I really like the European VARTA but availability in the states is tough.

Interstate and duralast are manufactured by the same battery company. Likely the same battery but green instead of red. You want to look for a battery produced by east penn if you want something worth a crap.
Not 100% true. Interstate is a brand and sources from Clarios mainly but from other manufacturers also. Mostly likely they source everything they can from Clarios but for group sizes that Clarios can not provide they source from other manufacturers like Exide.

Agreed, but mostly true. Couldn’t think of anyone worse to source from than Exide. Rural King is Exide and I’ve seen tons of failures there personally. I quit buying them but my grandpa is a cheap skate and loves buying cheap batteries and frequent replacements.

The original battery in my 2014 F150 lasted 3 years, replaced it with an Interstate battery about 6.5 years ago, and its still working good.

I have had amazing luck with both Duralast batteries and Everstart Max ,which were both marked Johnson controls. The Duralast was pulled from daily driver pickup 8 1/2 years old still started motor in winter,but was kind of slow turnover speed.My muscle car has a Everstart Max stamped 4/13 date ,still starts 350 chev.motor driven in summer only.I might replace this summer as voltage I just took Read 12.47 My other vehicle came with an Interstate Batt. at 8 years old I just replaced that one voltage was 12.51 Was still starting OK.

Last edited:
Just replaced my wife’s GM’s H6/group 48 this morning, Costco to Costco.

The old is 3 years old and still good, so why?

Well, on the voltmeter of the car, I think the charging is intelligent. So when really cold and battery not tip top, volts climb to over 16. I don’t like that. Another clue? Mpgs, gallons consumed, etc, reset on its own.

In the summer we can witness the voltmeter at 12…imho this means the car decides to not charge. Meaning beginning of the trip it’s like 14 then 2 hours later on highway 12v. Restart car back to 14v.

Here are the tests on a 730CCA H6, 3 yo and brand new. Keep in mind 730CCA is at 0F. It was about 40F and 3 yo is 660CCA and not fully charged (should be, as it’s driven daily).

IMG_0604.jpeg

New

IMG_0605.jpeg

The only time I didn’t DIY tech didn’t even connect the vent tube so sloppy 😡

IMG_0603.jpeg

Interstate and duralast are manufactured by the same battery company. Likely the same battery but green instead of red. You want to look for a battery produced by east penn if you want something worth a crap.
Batteries are fickle products and even a good manufacturer can produce bad ones. I have had two East Penn Group 49/H8s flooded each fail within a couple years use. Put in an AC Delco AGM Group 49/H8 made in Germany by Varta, five years and still tests great. I have an interstate AGM Group 48/H6 in my Ferrari going on almost 3 years no issues.

If you look at Consumer Reports testing, there is no one brand that is universally the best in all sizes. Some test #1 in one size, and bottom of the barrel in another size. No idea why that would be...

the Costco Interstate in ChicagoLand as well as the Everstart Maxx were both made by Clarios (one before that was Johnson Controls Inc/Clarios...I think the Everstart Maxx is playing its swan song at almost 5 years old in the GF's car but she doesn't drive it enough...I try to keep it on a Battery Tender Plus when I can get my hands on it...

I have had good luck with those batteries going 5 years before I start looking for a replacement just because...

I am also nearing 5 years for a Korean made Menards/AC Delco with no issues...

if Menard's offers that 15% off bag sale again or if Monday they offer the 11% rebate ale again, I may just pick up a new Menards AC Delco for her car to stay on the safe side...

Bill

checked Costco yesterday for the 47 group battery her car takes and was surprised to see CCA listed but nothing about CA or RC listed...on any of the new batteries they had that I could find...

Bill

checked Costco yesterday for the 47 group battery her car takes and was surprised to see CCA listed but nothing about CA or RC listed...on any of the new batteries they had that I could find...

Bill
Just be aware the Costco warranty on Interstate batteries is three years pro-rated, which is the worst in the industry.

Back