Internet free since Wednesday night

coaxial connectors and coaxial cores are corroded somehow.

Funny thing is, I called Xfinity, they said someone would come Thursday.....today is Saturday. :)

I have worked on coaxial a bunch, but I didn't know any legal things messing around in the junction box that's located by the street.

I just ran some RG59 across the driveway, used some compression connectors , wrapped it with electrical tape so that water doesn't get it, and called it a day. Couldn't do it Thursday or Friday, didn't feel like doing anything.

I don't even have data on my phone, let alone any cellular coverage.

I just did pushups when I got free time for those two days.

Xfinity is slow. In Colorado several towns set-up their own gigabit eithernet and now Xfinity wants customers back.

Xfinity is slow. In Colorado several towns set-up their own gigabit eithernet and now Xfinity wants customers back.
Yeah, they have a monopoly in the internet market here, only Att and comcast. I have a 900 mbps line, i only get 30mbps. ):

They offer up to 1200mbps at my house, but all their plans have their asinine 1.2Tb data limit so I’m forced to pay an extra $30 a month for unlimited. Last month we used 1.86Tb. Can’t wait till T-Mobiles 5G home internet is available.

Fiber to the house is the only way to go.
Until something goes wrong vs a company like Xfinity who instantly services an outage. The fiber companies are slow at fixing as they don’t have crews to fix stuff as quickly/efficiently.

Xfinity may not be fastest but their servicing and uptime
Cannot be beat. The longest outage I have had in 14 years at home is 2hrs and this was during some elongated power outages. They lock/set out invertor generators to power their equipment and I worked away thru a one week power outage.

Been working remotely since 2003 before it was a “thing”.

9783e3151670734423023b809a8004b0.jpg

Until something goes wrong vs a company like Xfinity who instantly services an outage. The fiber companies are slow at fixing as they don’t have crews to fix stuff as quickly/efficiently.

Cannot be beat. The longest outage I have had in 14 years at home is 2hrs and this was during some elongated power outages. They lock/set out invertor generators to power their equipment and I worked away thru a one week power outage.

Been working remotely since 2003 before it was a “thing”.
Fiber to the house is a PON, passive optical network meaning no electronics between your house and the central office. Which typically has a room of batteries. And is normally the same speed up and down. In a blackout the cable company uses repeaters that need electricity and once their battery is dead then no more internet.

Fiber to the house is a PON, passive optical network meaning no electronics between your house and the central office. Which typically has a room of batteries. And is normally the same speed up and down. In a blackout the cable company uses repeaters that need electricity and once their battery is dead then no more internet.
Our local fiber companies are a disaster in terms of outages. Recently formed companies that took Verizon’s residential network and trying to upscale. My closer neighbor uses one with cheaper price and faster speeds but in last few years I have run an Ethernet cable he has to their from my garage to their home to service them in extended Fiber internet outages about 3 times. This in exchange for him allowing me to use a garden hose from his home to mine when my well pump failed .

In the last quarter Verizon lost wireless business and gained FIOS business. (Not sure if it was number of customers or revenue. Not saying they lost money on wireless, just a drop in business).

During height of COVID in 2020, our modem went down with kids needing wifi to do their online courses. Could not get the new modem for 2 weeks, according to the internet provider, due to part shortage. I ended up asking our good neighbour to use their guest wifi as their signal was super strong (even better than our's at the time). He obliged and "borrowed" his system for a couple of weeks, thankfully.

During height of COVID in 2020, our modem went down with kids needing wifi to do their online courses. Could not get the new modem for 2 weeks, according to the internet provider, due to part shortage. I ended up asking our good neighbour to use their guest wifi as their signal was super strong (even better than our's at the time). He obliged and "borrowed" his system for a couple of weeks, thankfully.
The WIFI at the church camp I support that had it happen after lightning damaged the modem. We had 25 users then. Took several days for Comcast to replace the cable modem despite pay more as a Business Class customer. We bought two of our own modems with one as a spare. We now have 80+ users. Then Comcast said if you want a deal (discount for a contract) then you have to rent one of theirs. I thought the FCC or FTC ruled they could not force you to rent theirs. Technically Comcast doesn't I guess but they make it difficult to not rent theirs. And theirs is a WIFi router also. I only want a modem. I have all Unifi hardware and don't need the crap hardware that Comcast supplies. And I would like to get a rack mount one.

Verizon does not charge to rent the ONT. It's free as long as you have FIOS.

coaxial connectors and coaxial cores are corroded somehow.

Funny thing is, I called Xfinity, they said someone would come Thursday.....today is Saturday. :)

I have worked on coaxial a bunch, but I didn't know any legal things messing around in the junction box that's located by the street.

I just ran some RG59 across the driveway, used some compression connectors , wrapped it with electrical tape so that water doesn't get it, and called it a day. Couldn't do it Thursday or Friday, didn't feel like doing anything.

I don't even have data on my phone, let alone any cellular coverage.

I just did pushups when I got free time for those two days.
Depending on your cellphone plan you can use your phone as an internet hotspot and use your computers

Same problem with Spectrum last summer. Went out on Sunday, couldn't respond til Thursday. Ordered TMo wireless, got me new box in 36 hours. Don't miss being wired at all. They promised me no increases til I die. So far I'm happy.

Cannot be beat. The longest outage I have had in 14 years at home is 2hrs

I've had several outages exceeding 12 hours, all of which involved cable dig-ups and one which involved an auto accident.

But I live in Virginia. The attitude towards getting things done is pretty lax. And not just with Comcast. Verizon contractor hit a Verizon cable in my yard on Friday, Verizon didn't show up till Tuesday to fix it. And then proceeded to make a mess of the drainage ditch in front of my house, which I'm still trying to get someone to fix. Called VDOT and they said that they told Verizon to fix it. Verizon sends out a guy with a shovel, who tried to fix it but couldn't (a backhoe is what is needed). My culvert is filled with water that won't drain.

Living in this state as long as I have, you'd think I'd be used to it by now...

Agreed, except I would add in, depending on the location. The more upscale and more customers in an area, the higher the priority. Unfortunately, most of my clients that use comcast for businesses in downtown Chicago seem to get a lot of issues but my bar might be set too high with having Cogent at my office.

dude still hasn't came, I called xfinity again and they said "we do not have a work order for your house"

Oh well, time for me to start digging me a high quality trench, thick pvc pipe, and some nice coaxial.

Back