Internet drama for the interested...

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about audijunkworld.com?
LOL.gif

Mori,when did that happen?

Corvette Forum was bought by the same outfit about July 2007 and also went downhill but didn't seem to be a complete disaster. Maybe because Corvette Forum wasn't truly outstanding before, although it was prolly the best of the Corvette forums.

The restructuring happened just three days ago. Until then all was fine. Due to thousands of AW members packing up and leaving for QUATTROWORLD, AW now gives us the option of "threaded view," which is exactly what most members prefer over the common, popular "flat view."

I used to be a moderator on LS1Tech.com, right up until today, and I resigned over there (along with about 30 other moderators!) because of IB! They bought the site two years ago, and the original owners agreed to stay on and help IB run the site for two years, but now IB is suing those guys (who are good friends of mine) because they started another LSx engine site (www.planetlsx.com) When they signed the original deal two years ago, there was nothing in the contract that said they couldn't start their own competing site.

So this has started a mass exodus of moderators and members from the original site over to that new site. This isn't the first time this kind of drama has happened in the LSx engine world, in the beginning everyone started out at LS1.com, then most of the moderators and members from there ended up on LS2.com. LS1Tech.com was also started by people who first started out on LS1.com too.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
With beer sponsors come scantily clad nubile women handing out trinkets.

Is nubile determined before or after you put on the beer goggles?

Meh. Forums come and go. I've been on some boards that have been around since usenet days, only to see them crumble and fold due to mismanagement/greed. What usually happens is the bulk of the members start posting somewhere else, so it's not really like a great tragedy has taken place when the site you're used to frequenting suddenly dries up.

When forums get large its seems the quality goes way down. I have been a member of NASIOC.com (North America Subaru Impreza Owners Club) since its beginnings (around 2000) which I believe ranks top 40 for web forums traffic. The amount of crud on the board is silly. I do like the local forum N(ew)E(england)SIC within though. So much junk to filter through.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
When forums get large its seems the quality goes way down.

You should have quite soon after joining. Hmm, this can and probably will be interpreted the wrong way.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: rjundi
When forums get large its seems the quality goes way down.

It's the signal to noise ratio. A lot of forums are very specific about their subject matter, and tend to attract those that are involved enough in that subject to find the forum. Then, as it grows and finds it's way into the minds of the laypeople, not only does it become more chaotic simply because of the number of members, but those that are filing in in droves tend to be not so knowledgeable of, or respectful toward, the subject.

I administer a few forums, and there is a tough call to make about whether or not to restrict or moderate membership. On one hand, if monetization is an objective, more members = more traffic = more clicks on ads, etc., and it *is* often the casual or occasional members/ users/ visitors that do the clicking on the ads. On the other hand, of course, it stinks watching the core membership of a quality forum decline, and that decline *will* eventually result in the forum being no longer tenable.

What's unique here is the speed of withdraw of the membership, 1000 in 2 hours, 2000 overnight.

It appears there are (were) about 4000 active AW members. Now 3200 new members at QW in a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back