internet cafe setup....

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm kinda thinking of opening an internet cafe. Where do i find the program to run the computers? you know, the one that times them for usage? What about routers and such?

Can you compete if you limit the internet usage? I have a number of places in our area that I can use the internet for free. And it is unlimited.

Panera Bread, local Meijer grocery store Starbucks, a couple of library branches. All these have free wireless internet access.

Most of the Starbucks around the area also have internet access but it is through T-Mobile hot spots.

My opinion is that unless nobody else does it for free in your area, you should not have time limit enforcement.

As for routers, get a wireless router, and set the bandwidth to 802.11b. Finding a router that is solely a 802.1b router is impossible nowadays. You will need to get a 802.11g router and limit it to 802.11b.

And, of course, you will need a broadband internet.

That's it.

Huh?

I'd at least put a firewall between the wireless access point and the broadband connection.

That is, unless you'd like your connection being used to spam emails and other sorts of things.

the reason i plan to charge is because it will be around 2 blocks from a high school,and i plan to have games on it.

oh yea, i almost forgot. I also will be selling "energy" drinks, coffee,and other sugar rush items! So, anyone know what programs i will need?

I believe he is going to be providing the computer not just access. With that being said he will be able to compete. You may want to carry computer parts as well such as video cards, memory, cases, etc... You could also custom build computers.

You'll probably want a proxy firewall set up for filtering. That way you can keep people from doing things they shouldn't be doing. By passing only port 80 (www) and select higher up ports for gaming, you can keep out a lot of worms and such that feed off of un-firewalled connections. The filtering software is important to restrict access to undesireable websites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back