Interesting Real World Oil Saga

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have firsthand reasonable proof, at least in one regard, even after only 1000 miles new oils of the same rating and grade don't perform the same.

The vehicle is a 1987 Mazda B2200. ‘87 was the first year for the 2.2 liter version of that engine, and it has some well known valvetrain problems. Mine started making a very loud TAP TAP TAP noise from just one hydraulic lifter.

The first interesting thing is it only made noise after it had been driven hard enough and long enough to get the oil really hot which usually required an extended freeway drive. Running errands for hours in town usually wouldn’t show the problem (or it would at least be much quieter).

The second interesting thing is I changed the oil, and the noise stopped completely even after extended freeway driving. But after a month it was back. I’d been running the factory recommended 10W-30 oil and had always used Chevron Supreme in cheap cases of 12 from Costco.

That sure made it seem my one month old API “sunburst” SM rated oil was already losing viscosity when hot compared to a month earlier? This is after only about 1000 miles on the oil.

So, after just a month, and 1000 miles, I switched to 10W-40 Castrol synthetic blend and the noisy lifter stayed quiet for about 2 months and 2000 miles this time but was eventually ticking loudly again after every freeway drive—and this despite one weight heavier on the hot end!

So another change, this time to 20W-50 Castrol blend. And same thing. After about 2000 miles it’s ticking loudly again.

At this point I’m thinking the lifter was probably just getting worse and likely hopeless. A friend who races suggested I try Redline full synthetic 10W-40. Guess what, no noise for 5 months and 5000 miles this time (my normal change interval) and this despite my backing off to 10W-40 (it was winter and I was worried about start up problems with 20-50)!

The above demonstrated to me all the guys (even Blackstone) claiming if you change your oil every 3000 miles, there’s no real difference in oil performance among SL/SM oils once the engine is up to operating temp might not be entirely correct. I can’t speak to bearing wear, but keeping a hydraulic lifter with sloppy tolerance working correctly seems to require a certain viscosity. And 3 different oils failed after only 1000 – 2000 miles where Redline full synthetic worked for 5000+ miles. We’re not talking some high-strung 400 HP 7000 rpm wonder. It’s an 85 HP low-tech four banger in a small light pickup.

It might be Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum would have worked just as well. And, eventually, I had to replace the lifters even running Redline, but do mineral-based oils and blends really start to lose some of their hot viscosity after only a few thousand miles? I’m guessing what’s at fault here are the “viscosity improvers” they add? Perhaps they work better in bearings than in lifters?

Even Blackstone’s “TBN” doesn’t measure the actual amount and health of the Viscosity Improvers. But you’d think their hot viscosity test would show the kind of degradation I experienced?

I’m guessing what’s at fault here are the “viscosity improvers” they add?

Well, I think you have to find fault with either the engine design or it's condition. If you have an engine that can only work well on one specific oil, but not dozens of others, than the problem really isn't the oil. As to a difference, not a fault, sure I can see how RedLine might perform better. Perhaps it's lack of VII's better tolerate the high temps this engine generates running on the freeway. Do you have an oil temp gauge? That might net some interesting info.

Last edited:
Oils temps would be interesting, but alas, I don't know what they were (and no longer have the truck). And yeah, I'm not saying it's a normal situation. But when the truck made noise within 2000 miles of 4 different dino/blend oil changes, and despite the lifter being even more worn, I switch to synthetic and it stays quiet for more than twice as long seems to indicate SOMETHING was going on with the dino/blend oils after only 1000 - 2000 miles.

I'm just curious what? To me the best thing would have been an oil analysis right after the change, and another one when it started ticking loudly. But how could a 20-50 have less hot viscosity after only 2000 miles than a 10-40 after 5000 miles?

Originally Posted By: EngineeringGeek
but do mineral-based oils and blends really start to lose some of their hot viscosity after only a few thousand miles?

Yes. Keep in mind synthetic oils are still based on the same raw crude dino oils are, only they are more refined. In the case of my engine, the "proof" of oil thinning at operating temps over time comes by way of burn off increasing over the OCI as more of the thinned oil gets past faulty oil control rings and burned during combustion.

I therefore focus more on the HTHS score when looking for an oil more likely to maintain viscosity at operating temp longer and therefore burn less as I get farther into the OCI. I suspect the Redline you used is such an oil, and its resistance to thinning is due both to less VII and higher HTHS.

-Spyder

Maybe the esters in RL cleaned it up?
Othervise- a hdeo should keep up since
they are designed to be shearstable.

Originally Posted By: Spyder7
Originally Posted By: EngineeringGeek
but do mineral-based oils and blends really start to lose some of their hot viscosity after only a few thousand miles?

Yes. Keep in mind synthetic oils are still based on the same raw crude dino oils are, only they are more refined. In the case of my engine, the "proof" of oil thinning at operating temps over time comes by way of burn off increasing over the OCI as more of the thinned oil gets past faulty oil control rings and burned during combustion.

I therefore focus more on the HTHS score when looking for an oil more likely to maintain viscosity at operating temp longer and therefore burn less as I get farther into the OCI. I suspect the Redline you used is such an oil, and its resistance to thinning is due both to less VII and higher HTHS.

-Spyder

In reference to Redline synthetic, its significant ester component is most certainly not based on the same raw crude as dino oils.

Though your statement definitely holds true for any of the Group III or majority group III synthetics on the market in a general sort of way.

Try running some PYB until the tick comes back or 3k miles to make sure the engine is really clean and not a gummed up lifter. Maybe add a little MMM for the last hundred miles or so. Then with the next change give Rotella T6 5w-40 a try. Being a HDEO it should hold grade really well and stop the ticking. Fairly cheap as well.

This is a really interesting post. I have always believed that at least in the case of conventional motor oils there can be a viscosity decline over time and with enough miles. So personally I have always leaned to being safe and changing motor oil frequently. If a person is using conventional motor oil and buying oil in 5 quart containers that is not too high of a price.

If Redline is really a very good oil for cleaning maybe I will give it a try for one oil change. I would not use it all the time. Just long enough for very infrequent oil changes to keep the engine cleaned up.

In the case of lawnmowers I always believed in using 30 weight oil in the hot summertime. 10W30 (or even 5W30 in the case of the newest Briggs & Straaton engines) are okay for spring and fall.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
This is a really interesting post.

If Redline is really a very good oil for cleaning maybe I will give it a try for one oil change. I would not use it all the time. Just long enough for very infrequent oil changes to keep the engine cleaned up.

I can't be 100% certain, but I doubt what I experienced is due to any cleaning effect. I say that because, over 4 oil changes the noise would be gone for some period of time and then come back and stay until I changed the oil again. If it was just getting rid of some gum, or cleaning out a passage, why would it clog back up in 1000 miles and do that over and over again like clock work after the oil had a few thousand miles on it?

I'm fairly sure something was changing in the oil itself. Also, the oil always looked relatively clean, the inside of the cam/valve cover was clean when I opened it up, etc. This was a well mainteained engine that had a factory design flaw resulting in premature lifter wear.

And I also don't want to give the impression that Redline is somehow magic. For all I know any good synthetic would have behaved much the same way.

Quote:
We’re not talking some high-strung 400 HP 7000 rpm wonder. It’s an 85 HP low-tech four banger in a small light pickup.
That being the case, the little engine really has to work hard to do the job. I won't suggest it is getting the kind of abuse of a high-strung 400 hp 7000 rpm wonder, but it is sure taking a lot more abuse than my 4.9L inline six banger in my F150. If I had your little 4 banger I would be running redline in two ways (1. the oil, 2. the tachometer). So I think the little 4 banger may be beating up on the oil pretty good. Redline will take all the abuse you can dish out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back