interesting how they shipped a battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
The battery is a small sealed lead acid battery for FiOS backup. It was shipped USPS.

I found the package in our mailbox today. It was in a bubble pack shipping envelope. Inside the envelope was a small cardboard box. Inside the box was the battery, wrapped in bubble pack, but with enough room to shift around about 3/4", you could hear it slide when you tilted the box.

I thought it was interesting there was no sealed plastic bag used in the packaging. They sure have faith in the "sealed" aspect of the lead acid battery.

Wonder if they declared it as HAZMAT when they shipped it. Batteries that Ford wants returned to them that were replaced under warranty are sent FedEx and there is a special packaging method we have to use to ship them.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Wonder if they declared it as HAZMAT when they shipped it. Batteries that Ford wants returned to them that were replaced under warranty are sent FedEx and there is a special packaging method we have to use to ship them.

I forgot to mention, no special markings on exterior of package.

I just received a small, 6-volt sealed lead-acid battery from Battery Mart via USPS (for my rechargeable fluorescent camp lantern).

Battery Mart just dropped it in a box unwrapped, between some sliced up cardboard sheets as dunnage. It wasn't loose in the box.

The outside of the box was stamped "unspillable".

Last edited:
I have ATT U-verse and that system uses a Belkin battery backup for the telephone service. Both by neighbor and I have cancelled service in the past and when they had us return our equipment (modem & DVR) they specifically said to keep the backup unit. The backup uses a lead acid battery, similar to a motorcycle battery. When I shipped the two items back, the UPS guy said they don't ship the backup because of the battery.

I ended up re-subscribing to U-verse and now have a backup/backup battery for the next time power goes out.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Are you talking about hybrid batteries (extremely fragile and heavy) or lead-acid batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back