Interesting find bleeding my clutch.

Every few years I bleed the clutch on my E-150 van, this time I went a bit too long, and getting into first gear when things heated up was getting a little tough. Anyhow bleeding corrected the issue. What I found interesting was between the bell housing and the rear of the engine, at the bottom of the bell housing/engine there's a small space, which had what looked like mouse fur and bird feathers packed in, I removed quite a bit. I'm 99.9% certain of what it was, I doubt it was a rat. I could see how a mouse could enter, there's enough space going into the M5OD transmission from the line which feeds brake fluid to the slave cylinder. A mouse could easily get in, just by the way it's designed. But bird feathers were packed in with the mouse fur, I doubt a bird flew in, or a mouse attacked, killed, and dragged one in...........

You got to watch out for those aggressive mice, you never know what they will drag in.

I never bled my clutch on my 87 F150. Still works fine.

You got to watch out for those aggressive mice, you never know what they will drag in.

I never bled my clutch on my 87 F150. Still works fine.
Killer mice, I guess.

You've been lucky, Ford had issues with floor flexing which caused shifting problems in the vans, I can't comment about the PU though. My floor was reinforced, but the clutch has to be bled from time to time or going into first can be a little tough. I know over time the brake fluid breaks down and takes on water which is what creates an issue for me, it shifts fine now.

Killer mice, I guess.

You've been lucky, Ford had issues with floor flexing which caused shifting problems in the vans, I can't comment about the PU though. My floor was reinforced, but the clutch has to be bled from time to time or going into first can be a little tough. I know over time the brake fluid breaks down and takes on water which is what creates an issue for me, it shifts fine now.

Trucks had a similar issue, The Firewall would tear/break around the Clutch Master Cylinder mounting hole.

Trucks had a similar issue, The Firewall would tear/break around the Clutch Master Cylinder mounting hole.
Yes, Ford had an issue with the flrewall flexing causing all sorts of problems. They made a plate to correct the issue.

Probably a fairly old one (pre OBD2) with a 300 straight six? What if I told you I worked on a manual trans Chevy G-Series & Astro vans??

how does an E-150 van have a manual transmission? Is this a swap that you did?
It's OE, Pre-OBD2 Ford offered it. 1988 [which is what I have] was the first year for the 5 speed with the 4.9L, prior to that it was a 4 speed offered with the 4.9L. I owned three of them with the 4 speed, and this one with the 5 speed. Funny thing is every time I bring it in for a NYS inspection or tires, no matter what shop it is the tech always says they never saw one. Then they ask if it's for sale, and when I say no they tell me to keep them in mind if I do sell it.

Killer mice, I guess.

I have had to replace the pedal box and bushings already. It wasn't the floor but the cowl area sheet metal cracking. The cowl on mine was good but I installed the factory reinforcement plate anyway while I had everything apart replacing the pedal box.

I have had to replace the pedal box and bushings already. It wasn't the floor but the cowl area sheet metal cracking. The cowl on mine was good but I installed the factory reinforcement plate anyway while I had everything apart replacing the pedal box.
I beefed up the floor early on. I had the flex problem with an 85 E-150 and learned from that. Apparently Ford knew about the problem because they sold a reinforcement plate, but never actually addressed the problem in production. At some point I'm going to have to replace the clutch, it is worked hard and is starting to chatter a bit, I also had to top up the fluid in the clutch reservoir a few times over the past few years, and I have a feeling the slave cylinder is leaking. I can't find traces of it anywhere, although I'm not looking that hard. A clutch job is not something I'm not looking forward to.

I beefed up the floor early on. I had the flex problem with an 85 E-150 and learned from that. Apparently Ford knew about the problem because they sold a reinforcement plate, but never actually addressed the problem in production. At some point I'm going to have to replace the clutch, it is worked hard and is starting to chatter a bit, I also had to top up the fluid in the clutch reservoir a few times over the past few years, and I have a feeling the slave cylinder is leaking. I can't find traces of it anywhere, although I'm not looking that hard. A clutch job is not something I'm not looking forward to.
I know on F150'S starting in 1988, Ford start putting the slave cylinders in the bell housing. I'm glad that is not my case.

Must be a leak somewhere. May even be leaking out of the area of the master cylinder's push rod and dripping down inside under the insulating matt onto the floor board. From what I understand, the clutch's fluid level actually will rise in the master cylinder as the clutch wears, providing there are no leaks..

I know on F150'S starting in 1988, Ford start putting the slave cylinders in the bell housing. I'm glad that is not my case.

Must be a leak somewhere. May even be leaking out of the area of the master cylinder's push rod and dripping down inside under the insulating matt onto the floor board. From what I understand, the clutch's fluid level actually will rise in the master cylinder as the clutch wears, providing there are no leaks..
There has to be a leak, as you said the level rises as the clutch wears. There are no leaks at all inside the van, I clecked. What I think is happening is it is leaking in the bell housing and getting tossed around and not dripping out yet. I pulled the inspection plug when I saw the fur, it appears to be dry, but the view is very limited. This has been going on for a quite a while now, the van isn't used that much so I'm waiting for the planets to align before I pull it apart. Getting old sucks, and bring it to someone to fix it no way! I tried that once years ago when the slave cylinder let go and it turned out to be a nightmare which ended up with me redoing the job a day later....... I supplied the parts, the shop called and said your parts weren't right and your van won't go into reverse now. The jackass bent the floor behind the shifter, not knowing how to get the transmission out, then shoving it back in he screwed up a finger on the pressure plate. His out was I supplied the parts. Funny thing is I re-ordered the exact same parts I gave him and redid the job, everything worked flawlessly. Now 26 years later I'm looking at another slave cylinder/clutch job. I wish there were guys like @clinebarger or @Trav around here, I'd glady have one of them do it. Maybe I'll do it in the spring, I said that for a few years now too. ;)

Maybe the fur inside the clutch housing is from the mouse getting ground up. Don't think I'd want to be inside there when the engine is running. :oops:

There are external slave M5OD transmissions? I saw a few 2wd F150s with the 300 when I was looking for a vehicle, but I wouldn't want them due to the internal slave.

There are external slave M5OD transmissions? I saw a few 2wd F150s with the 300 when I was looking for a vehicle, but I wouldn't want them due to the internal slave.
Not that I've ever seen. The slave cylinder is internal, the 4 speed transmission Ford used prior had a fork, with an external slave cylinder.

Back