Interesting FCP Euro statement on BMW 0w-20

I wonder what they think about this
2B0954E8-E0CE-443C-B65B-162B97F99542.jpeg

What would be interesting is any actual evidence and technical data/testing that supports their reccomndation.

Without that it is just more fear mongering.

ITT: people who think 0w-20 is going to grind down their bearings as they drive along 70mph highways and 25mph city streets.

I doubt many owners of newer BMWs will own the car long enough to matter. If you can afford a new BMW, you probably get a new one every 3-5 years anyway.
Well typical BMW sales cycle has been lease up to 3yrs then resell as CPO for another 3-4 years. So 7 yrs on avg. Their vehicles end up at auction at around 100k-120k miles where people who can afford to repair want something newer.

I changed oil today, went with Motul X-Clean+ 5w-30 in the B58.

Seems to like it, the Pennzoil I dumped out of there seemed pretty tired.

Seems to like it, the Pennzoil I dumped out of there seemed pretty tired.
Out of interest, how can you tell that the engine "likes it"? And how can you tell the old oil was "tired"?

I'm genuinely not trying to argue but want to understand how people make such judgements about oils.

I'm not going to bother to look for examples, but I recall more than a few times someone has dug up the oil vis recommendation for the same engine in Europe vs in the US. It usually shows 'thinner' oils called for in the US.

I'm not going to bother to look for examples, but I recall more than a few times someone has dug up the oil vis recommendation for the same engine in Europe vs in the US. It usually shows 'thinner' oils called for in the US.
Because, like the OP said, the oil specifications are based on EPA and CAFE requirements, not engine requirements.

Owning a BMW outside of a lease/warranty is typically a bad financial decision.
I've heard those words from numerous YouTube techs, from various automotive websites, and directly from several local techs and shop owners.

Out of interest, how can you tell that the engine "likes it"? And how can you tell the old oil was "tired"?

I'm genuinely not trying to argue but want to understand how people make such judgements about oils.
+1, almost verbatim to my thoughts.

While the statement is not wrong, it needs to be put into context. Would I track a B58 with 0w20? Unlikely. Would I let my wife use it in her daily driver? You bet.

I wonder what their statement will be on the 0w12.

End of the day you can trust the people who engineer and provide the warranty on the engine/car, or you can trust FCP Euro. Your choice.
But you have to keep in mind that the primary focus is better mileage for a manufacturer's fleet. Do you think MB would actually go to a 20wt oil if not for govt mandates.

But you have to keep in mind that the primary focus is better mileage for a manufacturer's fleet. Do you think MB would actually go to a 20wt oil if not for govt mandates.
You can apply this line of thinking to
Seat belts,
Catalytic converters,
Safety glass
Crumble zones
Reinforced roofs
ABS brakes
Leaded fuels
Fuel injection

Yes CAFE is the driver and engineering found a solution. That's it. The cars will still end up in the scrape heap at the same age as the "less complex" or "more reliable" models of the past.

One thing is for certain and it's that the B-series engines running 20w oils are not yet having bearing issues.

Owning a BMW outside of a lease/warranty is typically a bad financial decision.
And this is not because of the car, per se. New BMWs are expensive. Just because you can buy a used one for a fraction of its original MSRP doesn't mean repair costs become less expensive.

I can afford to buy a used Aston Martin but I couldn't afford to own it.

Scott

Last edited:
You can apply this line of thinking to
Seat belts,
Catalytic converters,
Safety glass
Crumble zones
Reinforced roofs
ABS brakes
Leaded fuels
Fuel injection

Yes CAFE is the driver and engineering found a solution. That's it. The cars will still end up in the scrape heap at the same age as the "less complex" or "more reliable" models of the past.

One thing is for certain and it's that the B-series engines running 20w oils are not yet having bearing issues.
Yep, if anything, it improved BMW reliability. We’ve gone from S65 eating rod bearings with 10W-60 to coated bearings and 0W-30 in S58 (0W-20 / 12 in B58 TU2) with more power and fewer issues.

Back