Intel Glass Substrates

Intel has announced a new material for chip substrates; glass.
The substrate sits below the chip and allows for power and data to the processor.
Intel expects to use glass later this decade, starting with the high end uses like AI, graphics and data centers.

Technology never sleeps...

Interesting. Do they plan to use it like fiber does with light?

Interesting. Do they plan to use it like fiber does with light?
The improvement to current organic substrate materials deals with improved interconnect density. These benefits will allow chip designers to create high-density, high-performance chip "packages" for data-intensive throughput processing. A bigger pipe, if you will.

My company, Novellus (now part of Lam Research) made its money by developing copper interconnects; it was thought that copper, while a great conductor, was not a viable substance at these geometries. Novellus and IBM co-developed copper. We paid a royalty to IBM for every copper deposition machine. This put Novellus on the map.

I am retired, so I do not keep up with current tech much anymore, but this is a big deal.

• Love
Reactions: Pew
I guess they need to do something, they are what about 5 years behind Apple now?
Apples and oranges….. no pun intended.

The whole process node thing depends on the fab…. TSMC’s 7nm for example doesn’t equal Intel’s or Samsung’s as they all have varying maximum transistor density despite being on the same node.

Back