Insurance totaled car over catalytic converter theft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since you called the insurance company and filed a claim, I don't think there's any going back once it's opened-- even if it's a zero dollar payout (like a not-at-fault accident), it's still a claim. This sort or ordeal isn't worth involving your insurance company over. Do you really have full coverage on a 2002 Accord?

To give you some insight on the salvage / repair title process, it completely depends on your state and what the laws are.

I had someone sideswipe me on the freeway in my '96 Maxima a couple years ago, smashed the passenger front fender up pretty good, and paint transfer / scratches on the front bumper cover. Other driver had same insurance company as I did, and Progressive attributed 100% fault to the other driver. They had me do a virtual inspection (due to covid) where I took pictures at multiple angles, and subsequently declared the car a total loss.

They gave me two options: $2000 payout and they collect the car, or $1700 payout and I keep the car. I chose the latter option.

The way it worked for me in Kentucky, is I had to go to the DMV and surrender my plates and obtain a SALVAGE title. The insurance company needed proof of this to issue the check. It took a couple days for my insurance company to verify this, but I had my check pretty quickly.

In KY, you can't get plates with a salvage title. You have to fix the car and get an inspection from the sheriff's office in order to obtain a REBUILT title. Once you have the inspection from the sheriff's office, you go back to the DMV to obtain the rebuilt title.

On my own vehicle it involved replacing a $10 parking light lens, and a $40 fender, so about $50 total in repairs. Bonus was that the donor vehicle at junkyard was exact same color as mine. Add about $50 in titling fees, so I was $100 all in. The sheriff's inspection involved him walking around the vehicle real quick and checking to make sure the lights worked. Once I got my rebuilt title, nothing is different-- it insures and registers just like any other vehicle. No safety or emissions inspection here.

Not much you can do about the insurance company's written rules about how they declare a total loss unless you can prove and convince them the car is worth a lot more than what they detetmined. Threating them with a l lawyer isn't gonna do anything.

Sorry some turd stole your cat. Just remember, your insurance company doesn't get to tell you what happens to your car, they can merely offer you choices.

Always remember, insurance companies are not your friend.
Nor are you their "customer" in most cases. You are the revenue source, and the true "customer" is their shareholders.

If your insurance company is owned by the insured, or a "co-op" in some areas, then you are the customer and the liability.

Mostly though, you are just seen as a source of liability - one that needs to be contained as much as possible to reduce costs.

Now if you go through a broker, you are indeed their customer - but still a liability to the actual insurance company.

If they total it don't they have to give you fair market value, which I would think is ~$3,000.

You can have it repaired, even all OEM parts for less than that.

but I wonder if I can forego any payout, cancel the claim and get my car back without it being branded salvage. So basically it'd be like nothing ever happened.
Yes, you can. They don't care if you drop the claim or follow through. If you want to, just ignore any communications from the claims adjuster. If they send a check, return it.

The few I saw on eBay are universal, generic, non-OEM cats. They are pictured as new and should be OK for a 20 year old Accord. Now maybe they DO suck and may only last a few years, but what does the OP have to lose for $73?

Heard that those are made pretty much just enough to be put on the car to pass the test. (Put on car, let monitors set, pass the test.)

Inspections procedures apparently vary wildly.

My neighbor just got a new aftermarket cat from rock auto and fixed his 15 year old prius himself. Total cost was about 250. Insurance sent him a 1000 dollar check.

Its not full coverage. Its comprehensive ins. Dont any of you know anything about ins ? My neighbors prius has not had collision ins in at least ten years

Why would you carry full coverage ins on a 20 year old car?
I only carried liability on my 2002 and 2007 F350s. With the prices on replacement one ton trucks, I put comprehensive AND collision on both of the old trucks.

I have no idea what USAA would pay if either of the tired trucks were totaled today, but my guess is USAA would be paying out thousands more than they would have paid out for the same F350s were totaled in 2019.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back