Insurance question/crash

Get his insurance information and file a claim with them. He's jerking you around.
This. Plus most insurance policies' fine print says you can lose your coverage if you fail to report an accident.

Replacement cost from his insurance: find 3 similar vehicles for sale and make sure the sale price is high

I filed a claim
He said 3,000 not a penny more.
Now the question is what I get

A local one A step down from my limited model with 20,000 more miles was 3500
Thanks to all

About 40 years ago we had that same scenario where my friend was run over on a Harley Davidson leaving Chinatown.
I chase the guy got his plate and then threw a cop his name and address.
The guy said he’d pay and then about three weeks later he said what accident
My Dad had a minor incident many years ago. Neither vehicle was damaged badly and he and the other driver agreed to just leave things be and go their separate ways.

Until a couple of days later when the police showed up at the door because the other driver reported it as a hit/run...

See if you can get his insurance to pay you just under the total loss threshold and then you keep the car and agree there won’t be any supplements. Continue to drive it as is and save for a replacement car down the road. Commercial lines insurance can be a royal pain to deal with compared to a personal lines company (which can also be a pain but usually not as bad). If he has Progressive they will likely be better than the big commercial truck companies when it comes to claims handling. You’ll likely get CCC market value which is sometimes surprisingly high. If you feel it’s low, find regional comps and provide them to the adjuster.

See if you can get his insurance to pay you just under the total loss threshold and then you keep the car and agree there won’t be any supplements. Continue to drive it as is and save for a replacement car down the road. Commercial lines insurance can be a royal pain to deal with compared to a personal lines company (which can also be a pain but usually not as bad). If he has Progressive they will likely be better than the big commercial truck companies when it comes to claims handling. You’ll likely get CCC market value which is sometimes surprisingly high. If you feel it’s low, find regional comps and provide them to the adjuster.
Thanks!

Whats the mileage on the sonata and options?

Also make sure they put the right car into CCC
when my elantra touring was totaled

they were using regular elantra.
(the touring was a totally different car not options package)

Then they tried using auction prices for vehicles with 3-6 times the mileage and a pitiful mileage adjustment.

We went back and forth 4x and that was using my insurance company.. ended up with 20k instead of <15k

Reactions: GON
Whats the mileage on the sonata and options?

Also make sure they put the right car into CCC
when my elantra touring was totaled

they were using regular elantra.
(the touring was a totally different car not options package)

Then they tried using auction prices for vehicles with 3-6 times the mileage and a pitiful mileage adjustment.

We went back and forth 4x and that was using my insurance company.. ended up with 20k instead of
It’s a limited
Glass sunroof heated seats ect
No rips or tears in the leather
Really pretty clean car

If you keep and rebuild it, I know where a matching color trunk is and I may still have a rear bumper. I rebuilt one a few years ago and bought a parts car for it. Still have some parts left over.

The parts car:
large.jpg

If you keep and rebuild it, I know where a matching color trunk is and I may still have a rear bumper. I rebuilt one a few years ago and bought a parts car for it. Still have some parts left over.

The parts car:
large.jpg
I have to admit I’m a little afraid to get involved when I don’t know what the installation would be
That said I would love to take some of the cash value of the car out of it trading some appearance as The car will be worth nothing when I’m done with it.
With work I just need it to look good from 20 feet

The body shops did say it looks like the whole trunk is pushed forward and it may require some work to get it to fit and shut

I wouldnt settle for a penny less than $5000.
you dont get trade in value you get what it would cost you to replace it.

also depending on your state if you replace it with a new car
you might be able to get sales tax on your settlement amount as well.

You're going to have to look for what that make/model are being sold for online and go from there. You'll have to negotiate, and negotiate down from the average listing prices, but it will be more than what they offer you which will be wholesale. In fact, his offer of 2k is probably what the insurance company's first offer would be.

Edit: Just my opinion, I'd be done negotiating with that guy and just report it to his insurance.

2nd Edit: here's a link to an AutoTempest search. I plugged in your car, without the mileage, but same make/model/trim with a search of 2007 and 2008 model years. I'd use this in negotiation, as well.
Great link
Thanks

My thoughts is you report to your own insurance company and let them go to work.

If they gave you 3000, then I wouldn't want to keep the wrecked sonata, get something else unless you are a body shop guy. Even if you are, there isn't much worth fixing.

Insurance companies must make you whole. However, they are masters at not doing so.

Example:
Car value is $10K
Repairs cost $7K
Repair Offer from ins $4K
Replacement offer from ins $10,200
Exact replacement 11K, (same model/miles found at a dealer)
Taxes $880
Dealer fee $500
Tag fee $300
Search time, gas etc.

However you structure it, MAKE SURE you are not out any money.

Back