Installing Distributor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if I removed and installed the distributor right.

All I did was remove the distributor and remembering the general direction of where the rotor was pointing to.

Installing, was the reverse by inserting the distributor and making sure the rotor was pointing in the same direction.

I am removing and installing the same distributor, I just had to replace the internal ignition coil.

NOW reading the manual, I saw that I must align the marks on the lug and the protrusion on the distributor.

Is this necessary or is it the technical way of saying make sure that the rotor was pointed in the same direction (cylinder) before installing. I noticed you can't put the distributor in all the way unless the rotor is turned to where it was last positioned anyways. ALSO, I readjusted the timing afterwards, since I didn't mark the distributor housing.

if you readjusted the timing, you fixed whatever slight misalignment you may have made, unless you reinseted it 180 degrees out (!). I don't think you did that...

When I do this (rarely), I magic marker a line across the gap. The finer the line, the better your chance of realigning it. But it's still wise to check the timing afterwards anyway.

Do you have an overhead cam engine where the dist. is driven by the cam? It will only go in one way, as the drive key is offset.
However, your timing may be off - you're going to have to check it.

Well its a DOHC engine, HOWEVER it is an 4AFE engine, and the design has one cam slaved to the other. So basically the dual cams are independant of each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back