Installed my MTL-R

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, as a last resort to try and smooth out my aging transaxle in my 94 Corolla, I gave Specialty Formulations MTL-R a try. It is definetally the best fluid overall that I have tried but my transaxle is still a bit notchy when cold. At least with the MTL-R and can actually shift it into 2nd gear! Also, I asked Mola about adding a quart of MTL-P to the mix but he advised against doing it because I had complained about a slacky gearset in the transaxle. I think the input bearing is worn and getting loose because when I let off the gas, I get a slacky clunk, but I don't really hear the clunk, I can feel it. Well, the MTL-R has made that phenominom much better overall. Once warm, the shifts are incredibly smooth. You name it, I've tried it. Redline, Pennzoil, Amsoil, Castrol fluids. MTL-R has been the best so far. Redline I thought was kinda terrible because it had a hefty crunch once the tranny was up to temp
dunno.gif
Oh well. Mola, make us some kick *** motor oil now! The MTL-R: it like stays on surfaces forever and seems to not drain back totally. I left my funnel in place after I installed the fluid and came back an hour later and the inside of the funnel was still bright red with fluid!

Thanks for posting the comments drew. I actually picked up some MTL-R to change out the redline MT-90 prior to a track weekend...all these glowing reviews are making me want to drain the redline early
smile.gif

Drew,

The MTL-R and MTL-P (next lower viscosity) are all now GL4/GL5 rated, so you may want to try the MTL-P if cold weather shifting is still a problem.

Glad to hear the tranny got a new life!
biggthumbcoffe.gif

with all these glowing reviews, I'm kicking myself I stocked up on Redline back in November (at vast expense, you NA guys don't know how lucky you are on lube prices...
wink.gif
)

Oh well, when I get around to buying SF fluid, I'm sure it will be better again.
grin.gif

I used SF's SynchroGlide in my Ford truck's tranny that calls for ATF. The SynchroGlide has transformed the tranny totally. Now I look for reasons to drive the truck and I look for routes where I have to shift more frequently
grin.gif
. Thank you MolaKule
bowdown.gif
!

Whimsey

Hey Molakule, what is the viscosity of MTL-R at 40C? I thought it was 82 Cst. per the spec sheet that came with my order (threw it away too soon!), but it says 92 on the website. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back