Installed battery disconnect switch on the lawn mo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overkill? Maybe. Had a cheap Walmart battery that would always need trickle charged last year. So getting a new battery gave me an excuse to do this. Glad I don't have to disconnect the battery anymore (as simple as the task is haha)

Installed it in the back of the mower just to the right of the seat. Easy to reach and I'm generally happy.

Switch is rated for 180amps so it is plenty capable.

(I ripped my last black boot so I used red. I know I used the ground wire but sue me)

The old battery wouldn't stay charged. It needing trickle charged is unrelated to the disconnect switch, just venting how [censored] that battery was.

Nice Install ! Your mower may have some sort of parasitic drain that will run the battery down over time. I had to install one of these on my travel trailer. The trailer has a combo smoke, propane, and carbon monoxide detector that will run the battery down fast in storage.

nice, clean install. Some people would have rigged something up with bailing wire as a ground... I would still look into what is causing the parasitic drain though.

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
The old battery wouldn't stay charged. It needing trickle charged is unrelated to the disconnect switch, just venting how [censored] that battery was.

Did you measure parasitic load? If it's not that, then the charge voltage may need to be adjusted.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19

Did you measure parasitic load? If it's not that, then the charge voltage may need to be adjusted.

No I did not. I have some other projects I'm working on so it will have to be put on the back burner for the time being

Originally Posted By: brianl703
Takes much less time to measure parasitic draw than to install that switch.

The switch wasn't installed because of the parasitic draw

I don't consider disconnecting battery cables an easy task, well let's say convenient unless you're the time to just tighten them by hand. That could be the problem in itself. I once hooked up an hour meter to a 12v battery to run the hours up and figured hand tight would suffice. Nope I had to tighten it with a wrench to get the hour meter to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back