Install aftermarket inline transmission filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was watching one of the "Eric The Car Guy" videos, and he installed a simple inline filter even though the transmission had its own filter. He installed it on the return line to the transmission, but I think it would be better to install in the supply line to the radiator? I think that seems smarter since you wouldn't want any dirt/crud to accumulate in the radiator cooler, don't you think?

Has anyone installed an inline filter such as I'm describing? What type of filter did you use, etc.?

Thank you,
Ed

Ford reman transmissions came with what was a Ford branded Magnefine inline filter. They stopped about 9-10 years ago when they changed their recommendation to either replace the cooler or use a heated flush to flush certain coolers.

Take a look at Wix 33033..

3/8 inch fittings, 15 micron, metal canister...

I use one on my power steering....

I have a magnefine in the line from the radiator tank cooler to the external finned cooler on my F150. It right between the two cooling devices so not in the feed or return line. It only filters when the transmission is up to temperature as it has an internal thermostat. 1/2" inlet and outlet. Magnefine is making them in metal now for the smaller sizes but the ones I have are plastic. I will change it to a metal one when they start making them with a 1/2" port.

Good to know.

Technically, anything downstream of the liquid-to-liquid heat exchanger is the return line, with or without an liquid to air cooler in the equation.

I was not aware that the Magnefine has an internal thermostat, unless you meant the factory stat in the transmission cooling system?

On a side note, what GPM is your trans cooling circuit capable of, and do you find any difference in operating temps with the 1/2' Magnefine?

I had the GPM of the 1/2" Magnefine somewhere, but have forgotten that rating.

Radiators sometimes have complex mesh or piping that can capture a lot of debris. If a filter is added before the radiator when new, that could work, but clean ATF could flush debris out of an old radiator, defeating the purpose. So the usual recommendation is to add it after the radiator/supplemental cooler in the return line.

Aftermarket filters generally have finer filtration than internal transmission filters. Factory transmission filters have to last the life of the transmission, as many of them are never changed, so they are fairly free-flowing "rock catchers". Some are really nothing more than metal screens. Aftermarket inline filters have 10 to 15 micron filtration, magnets, bypass valves, and (usually) can be changed more easily.

Here's what Magnefine's installation instructions say about it:

"On new vehicles (less than 5,000 miles), it is recommended that the filter be installed on the cooler supply side to protect the cooler from contamination. On in-service vehicles (more than 5,000 miles), the filter should be installed in the return line from the cooler to the transmission. On any vehicle that has experienced any transmission difficulty, the filter should be placed on the return side."

Installation Instructions

I would NEVER install an in-line filter. Instead, I would install a 2 micron BYPASS filter, between the lines. At the same time I would also add an aux. cooler configured downstream of the rad-tank-cooler loop... but install the aux. cooler so that by simple switching of valves it could be bypassed for cold weather. Overcooling the ATF is not good either.

Make of filter I would use would be NTF ATF-09 I think it is...

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 19
Last edited:
The F150 already has the aux cooler after the rad tank cooler. It also has a thermostat inside the 6R80 transmission, so the inline is already only being fed fluid when the thermostat is open (above 170F). The magnefine flows way more GPM than actually goes through the system...especially when the fluid is above 170F, which is always, when it's passing through. I've had a remote filter setup on my 09 F150 and this is much easier to install and deal with.

09:

[Linked Image]

Transmission flow 2009:

[Linked Image]

Transmission flow 2016 (the magefine is in the line #1 in the picture):

[Linked Image]

since these transmissions are already known for not having problems and last a long time without any service, this one should last forever.

Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT
I would NEVER install an in-line filter. Instead, I would install a 2 micron BYPASS filter, between the lines. At the same time I would also add an aux. cooler configured downstream of the rad-tank-cooler loop... but install the aux. cooler so that by simple switching of valves it could be bypassed for cold weather. Overcooling the ATF is not good either.

Make of filter I would use would be NTF ATF-09 I think it is...

Last edited:
On my Canyon, I installed an aftermarket cooler and Mag filter at the same time ... had dealers choice. Since the filter was plastic - wanted it to be on the cooler side.
I had a small housing leak and decided to change to a spin on. Researched it some more since they were going to be side by side and could run the hose however.
Read that the coolers can collect some crud and it can become liberated all at once - and figured with a Tru Cool LPD the flow could be really low velocity at times - so I stayed with the filter on the cooler side again ...
Miss that set up - drain a pan volume and change a 20 micron filter in 20 minutes - all clean work ... (had a MagnaFilter on the spin on too) ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back