Input on a few upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone,

So after being talked down from going to a Chrysler, I wanted to get some input on a few enhancements I'm considering to my 2011 Corolla, to see what people thing is worth it/not worth it. Please note that most/all of the work will likely be done by someone, as I am not too mechanically inclined, nor do I have the facilities to attempt certain work.

1. Bluetooth audio system upgrade. I'm calling dealers to see if it is possible to get the OEM one with steering wheel controls installed. We will see, as Toyota is pretty bad about making these things available. I was going to go with an aftermarket Rosen stock-look HU w/Nav, but decided against that.

2. Replace wheels/tires with OEM 16" alloys. Would this make a difference performance/drive wise, or would I be better off with 2.5 below
2.5. Just get new 15" tires to improve ride quality (the wheel covers/steel wheels look ok enough to me).

3. Auto-dimming rear-view mirror. I found the OEM toyota one online, but it is screwed to the windshield. How hard is this to replace? Is it battery powered, or does it have to be wired in somehow? Would this be difficult?

4. I can't seem to find OEM fog lights, which I would like.... But I'm hearing these aren't really worth it beyond looks (which isn't important).

5. I'm going with Denso wiper blades (OEM) to fix the nightmare I have with every aftermarket brand.

6. Finally, I was looking into getting a tire pressure monitor and portable compressor, is this a good idea to check tire pressure twice a month to ensure fuel economy/ride quality, or would that be overkill?

Thanks for any insight, I've learned so much from so many people with great input on here!

You're in Boston so you know the roads are beyond bad around here. I'd consider sticking with steelies/stock vs alloys.

I check my air pressure every Saturday. You never know when you will pick up a nail in your tire and end up with a flat in rush hour traffic. A small portable compressor is all you need.

And having been to Boston once, I agree with the above post. Stick with the steel wheels. If you want a plush ride then go buy a Cadillac

Hi all,

Thanks for the input so far. I'm aiming for a good balance of financially sensible options to enhance my car a bit, and enjoy the rides a bit more, without breaking the bank.

Good to know the alloys won't be worth it (I supposed one more inch in wheel size wont make much of a difference, either), as they are rather expensive. I scratched up two of my wheel covers badly, but got two OEMs for only 65 bucks online. (Plus I ordered a box of 40 valve stem caps to replace two that were missing). If those were alloys, that would have been awful.

I'm also quite glad not to have bought that Chrysler, too. A black car out in Boston weather, when I don't have a garage, no way I would be able to keep that car nice as I'd like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back