Injector cleaner in Direct injection

I've been told that injection cleaners do nothing for DI engines. But it seems to me that the Direct injectors have nozzles and spray patterns that need to be maintained. So wouldn't products like Sea Foam and Gumout help the direct injectors?
Top tier fuel has plenty of necessary detergent in it already. the predominant issue with DI operation is not solvable by a "pour in the gasoline" wallet lightener

Top tier fuel has plenty of necessary detergent in it already. the predominant issue with DI operation is not solvable by a "pour in the gasoline" wallet lightener
No. For example Normal Shell doesn’t have any detergents. Shell V-Power (Nitro) has enough additives only if you use it regular.

No. For example Normal Shell doesn’t have any detergents. Shell V-Power (Nitro) has enough additives only if you use it regular.
All gasoline has at least SOME detergent in it, Top Tier (& Shell V-Power) just have more. For example, BP/Amoco has their Invigorate detergent in all grades, but the (labeled Amoco Ultimate) premium has more detergent than the regular & plus grades. An overdose of Techron with V-Power has solved injector issues for me in the past, combined with a 400 mile+ highway run.

I have 2 Mercedes DI V6 engines. I asked my indy mechanic if he had seen carbon build-up problems on those engines. He had not nor had he heard of any. I use mostly Costco premium fuel in them. Who knows if I have carbon building up in them.

All gasoline has at least SOME detergent in it, Top Tier (& Shell V-Power) just have more. For example, BP/Amoco has their Invigorate detergent in all grades, but the (labeled Amoco Ultimate) premium has more detergent than the regular & plus grades. An overdose of Techron with V-Power has solved injector issues for me in the past, combined with a 400 mile+ highway run.
Shell regular unleaded in the USA is on the Top Tier list so it must have some cleaning agents...
I’ve tested Shell, BP etc in the EU. BP in their Ultimate and regular gasoline have the same level of amines. Shell only in V-Power/nitro. Anyway, it’s 40x-50x times less than BG or Techron.

In the US we have Top Tier that mandates any gas/petrol company advertising it have higher levels of detergents in ALL grades. But Premium grades V-Power and Exxon-Mobil's top octane may contain more....

Last edited:
From the Top Tier website:
About: https://www.toptiergas.com/about-top-tier/
FAQs: https://www.toptiergas.com/consumer-faqs/

Relevant information:
1) "TOP TIER™ licensed gasoline marketers are required to use TOP TIER™ Approved Fuel for all grades of gasoline sold at their stations."
2) Does TOP TIER™ Approved Gasoline help in GDI (Gasoline Direct Injection) engines?
Although the technology and mechanical equipment for direct fuel injection differs from port fuel injection or carbureted fuel systems, the short answer is the “keep- clean” effect in these fuel systems may not differ greatly. The data and information that the sponsoring engine manufacturers have is not available in the public domain, but AAA conducted an independent investigation comparing the minimum EPA detergent levels to TOP TIER™ Approved Gasoline. The full report is available for free download here. AAA did a great job showing where in the engine you can benefit from gasoline meeting the TOP TIER™ Performance Standard and even commented on GDI engines (see section 2 of their report on pages 9 and 10; and the sub-section on emissions found in section 5.3 – page 19).

Back