Initial impressions - Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Not that it's much of an issue here, but I'll be interested in your experiences with them in the snow. As I mentioned I purchased the Grand Touring which seems a more conventional tread design as pictured here.

Not too surprised about the mpg differences, wonder how much due to going from an lrr tire to a standard one and the diameter difference. As you note, wider a factor too.

I asked about who installed and because I'm always curious how the shops (other than WM which I assume has no reaction) react to installing tires purchased elsewhere. I'd imagine buying from DTD may be less than the cost some indy's can get them directly or sell for that price.

I'm hoping not to have too many experiences with them in the snow. There's a set of Nokian snows out in my shed waiting to go on for the winter. As long as they get me home safely to swap to snow tires, that's all that matters for snow traction to me.

The local indy shop I use is pretty chill about mounting brand-new carry-in tires that are the right size/speed rating for the car they're going onto. They aren't the cheapest place around at about $25+tax for a mount and roadforce balance, which is the only mount/balance they offer. That's fine by me since they do good work quickly, the tires are always well-balanced, and they need to keep the lights on. I've asked about buying tires from them. They said they could, but that if I found a better deal elsewhere, just bring them in.

These tires have hit their stride as the mold release stuff has worn off. The response to steering input is direct, they have a lot of dry grip, and they don't feel like they're rolling onto the sidewalls under hard cornering. So far I'm a very happy camper.

After I posted I thought about you perhaps having dedicated snow tires for winter. It's been some time since I had to think about them so slipped my mind. So the Nokians are a set of four. Still got a little while to run the UTs.

As for mounting/balance, I'd imagine kinda have to go with best available and what you have confidence in, extra cost or not. Thinking you still did very well.

Happy motoring.

My local Midas has no issue with mounting and balancing tires bought elsewhere and is a Tire Rack recommended installer. The CS5 Ultras I bought for less than 100 dollars after rebates from DTD for all four shipped will be installed by them. They charge $12 per tire for mounting and lifetime balance and rotation. I've had decent experiences with Midas but I don't know if they are all decent or if this is just a good shop.

After about 500 miles on these tires, I'm still quite happy. The wet grip on rain-soaked roads is impressive. Getting caught in a pop-up storm the other day wasn't an issue, even with sheets of water being removed from the road by the tires. In the dry, the amount of grip they have is enough to go around corners quite quickly. When they hit a bump mid-corner, they re-establish grip very rapidly. Braking is very confident, especially after the recent front brake job this car had. Noise is still quite low, which I'm happy for.

Fuel economy did drop about 10% from the narrower LRR tires on it before That's fine, since it's made the car much more responsive and quite a bit more fun to drive.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
After about 500 miles on these tires, I'm still quite happy. The wet grip on rain-soaked roads is impressive. Getting caught in a pop-up storm the other day wasn't an issue, even with sheets of water being removed from the road by the tires. In the dry, the amount of grip they have is enough to go around corners quite quickly. When they hit a bump mid-corner, they re-establish grip very rapidly. Braking is very confident, especially after the recent front brake job this car had. Noise is still quite low, which I'm happy for.

Fuel economy did drop about 10% from the narrower LRR tires on it before That's fine, since it's made the car much more responsive and quite a bit more fun to drive.

yep,
..also i know you run winter tires in winter, but they don't work on ice (how do i know that i wonder?)....
but new thread and 2-4 inches of snow..... yo ho ho.... hello small car tank... :))

I don't have the Ultras, but I have the CS5 Grand Touring tires on both our cars. They handle eastern Ohio winters just fine along with any rain we get. Also driving through the mountains from Ohio to Myrtle Beach and back, they have very good handling hitting the turns in a fully loaded car doing 75-80 mph. I even had the CS4 radials on my Wife's car before finally replacing them with the CS5. Those were also a good tire, but were phased out for the CS5.

L8R,
Matt

Wanted to update now that cooler weather has set in and the tires have had a few miles on them.

The CS5 UT's stay plenty grippy on cold, wet roads. They also ride decently in temperatures below 45*F. Noise has stayed about the same. A threshold braking stop recently on a cold, dry road was drama-free. Treadwear also seems to be fairly good.

Fuel mileage has been down about 10% since putting them on. That's fine, considering how much better the car rides and handles.

The jury is still out on snow performance. I'm hoping not to test that, but we will see what comes in November.

I remember that your former Fit wore a set of Premier A/S tires. How do the two compare?

Updating since I got to test these in 32*F weather and snow.

The CS5 UT's at fairly full tread depth aren't the deathtraps that folks are making them out to be. They're not snow tires by any means. For a sporty all-season, I'm rather impressed. They're considerably better in deep snow/slush and light snow/slush than the Goodyear AFM's I've had previous experiences with. Braking on deep slush was predictably long, with ABS chattering away. It was pretty predictable and consistent. Braking distances went down as the snow depth decreased. Turning on slush resulted in some slight understeer around the turn. I didn't have issues getting started in deep snow.

I didn't test them in deep snow at highway speeds. For the light snow and slush that I drove through, these tires were still fairly grippy. Handling and braking was predictable. Braking was slightly longer than on purely wet surfaces. That was expected and consistent.

After seeing their decent for an all-season snow performance, I would have no hesitation on recommending the CS5 UT as a 3-season tire for folks who might need to get through an early/late snowstorm, or as a 4-season tire for folks who only very occasionally see snow. Cooper really did a great job with these tires!

Great thread. We have these on our Nissan.
Paid a lot more than you guys did, need to check DTD next round.
Be sure to remind the garage, and verify at pickup, they only mount in one direction!

Twice I had to have them put it back on the lift.
Two different shops.

@ 15k miles the CS5 UT tread is already half-worn, based on the indicator square. Tires wearing evenly shoulder to shoulder and rotated 2x since installed. I don't think I'll get 50% of 70k miles of promised life...
...still, I expect DTD to replace them for another set for half-price...they're a good tire for the money.

Originally Posted By: KitaCam
@ 15k miles the CS5 UT tread is already half-worn, based on the indicator square. Tires wearing evenly shoulder to shoulder and rotated 2x since installed. I don't think I'll get 50% of 70k miles of promised life...
...still, I expect DTD to replace them for another set for half-price...they're a good tire for the money.

That's not promising. Any way to take a tread depth gauge to them to verify what the wear indicator is saying?

I have CS5 Ultras, 215/60R16 95H. Got about 10K miles / one year on them. Rotated once so far. I did not measure but assume that tread depth was 11/32 originally (per manufacturer). I was at 9/32 @ 9K miles. Even wear all around as far as I could see. But that's a bit faster wear than I'd prefer esp. since they are on a Hyundai Sonata that is not driven hard. I'm concerned that they will not last 70K miles at this rate...more like 40K if I take them off around 3/32nds. Not good.

The asymmetrical trade design probably accounts for the poor wear characteristics. A true symmetrical design, like most Michelin's I've run have gotten past the 50k mark (in my experience) with ample tread to spare.

Everytime I've run an asymmetric tread tire (even one that's non directional, like the CS5) I get rather poor treadwear (40k on avereage) but the grip is noticeably better in all driving conditions.

I think it's a fair trade-off. If you drive an economy car and want to get the most life out of your tires, try to steer toward (pun intended
smile.gif
a symmetric tread design.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Originally Posted By: KitaCam

That's not promising. Any way to take a tread depth gauge to them to verify what the wear indicator is saying?

6-7/32 remaining tread in different spots...So I've used 4-5/32 out of 9/32 usable tread....50% of the tread-life.

Last edited:
I think I got 25k out of my set. I tossed them when I put my snows on. Though, they were still technically legal, at 4/32 I didnt feel it was worth the price to remount them for another 5k.
Im VERY hard on tires though, and so 25-30k is about all I expect to get.

I'll keep an eye on wear. Although if they make it to 3/32" at around the 45k mile mark, that's about how my car wears tires on the roads around me. I usually toss tires at about that point since wet grip becomes an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back