Infrequent Use- Anything Protect Better @ Startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2004 F150 with the 5.4 V8. Picked it up about 9 months ago, and based on it not being driven many miles will probably change the oil at 12 months. (Purchased from Carmax, as soon as I got it home, dumped whatever they used, spun on a MC filter and added MC 5w20 synthetic blend). Currently has around 125k miles.

So far it has been driven about 2,500mi in 9 months. Use consists of being driven once a week on weekends, I make sure it stays running long enough to fully warm up, probably an hour to an hour and a half of run time each start.

Recently I looked a Castrol Magnatec which claims to protect better at cold start by leaving a film of protection on parts. Have also looked at Cam Guard for airplanes, which touts protection at startup in addition to other benefits (my dad owns a piston powered airplane and is going to start using Cam Guard).

Is there anything that "really" protects better at startup for vehicles used once a week or less?

Biotech Engine Protectant from Lubegard makes similar claims. In all honesty every engine I've opened up had oil clinging to parts, and they sat for very long periods of time. If you're driving it once a week for an hour + with a good oil I don't think you have anything to worry about.

You could also do what I did with my van that used to sit for weeks w/o being used, install a Pre-luber. Then all you have to do is flip a switch and the engine is lubed and has oil pressure before it even starts.

I had a dodge dakota 2.5 that saw the same duty as yours. I parked it to do its head gasket and the overhead cam was still very much oily as weeks went on.

No doubt the the Castrol leaves a protective film but so does every other oil.

I would not worry about it.

Ten or so years ago I saw a 12V electric oil pump that you would run before turning over the engine to fully pressurize the oil. I guess it did not get much traction.

Most engines are not going to the boneyard because of worn bearings.

There are rarely driven show cars and "toys" (driven once a month at most, then parked 4-6 months for winter without a restart, getting 500-1500 miles per year) that get a similar regimen without doing anything special (no pre-lubers). And many or most have no issues over 10-20 years. No fluid leaks, quick starts. Once a week is a piece of cake. And Tennessee doesn't have particularly cold weather winters.

My dad's F350 gets about 180 miles per year. This year was a big year for it - saw 300.

It routinely sits for 6-7 months. The solar powered battery maintainer has it spinning over quick. No noise from the timing chains from it sitting either.

Originally Posted By: Fastzntn
Recently I looked a Castrol Magnatec which claims to protect better at cold start by leaving a film of protection on parts.

We recently switch our SUV over from PUP 5w20 to Magnatec 0w20. The cold starts seem a lot better. Will have to wait until this OCI is over so we can get an UOA for comparison. This is a winter fill and we'll be switching back to PUP next OC and if the Magnatec isn't significantly better then we'll be sticking with the PUP indefinitely.

I'd try the Magnatec if I was you. It might not help more than another oil but it's full synthetic in your weight so a step up from the synblend you're running now.. Wal-Mart has fair prices on it and on Amazon they have $10 instant rebates on Castrol 6qt cases, pair it with Subscribe and Save (you can cancel your subscription after you get your item with no penalty) and it's a pretty decent price.

The MC you're already using is fine. Change it every two years or 5000 miles - no worries. That truck is old enough that's it's happy to be driven weekly.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Biotech Engine Protectant from Lubegard makes similar claims.

I use Biotech in my G35 for this very reason; it's only driven one day a week for about 40 miles. I wanted something to help with cold dry starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back