Info on GM's new extended oil change intervals

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll protect my wallet by not having to rebuild my engine. I'll protect the environment by keeping the engine more in tune by changing the oil more frequently and being rewarded with an engine that lasts longer(less resources wasted on rebuild), an engine that performs better(less wasted fuel resources),.....................
I beginning to believe that enviroweenies need to think things out a little more.

Did the engineers do anything besides a UOA?

Great, the OEM engineers did some UOAs.
But, did they check the filters?
Where is the used filter analysis? UFAs?
Did they monitor engine time?
Did they monitor fuel used?
Will they be willing to share their formulas for the so called OCI idiot light reminders?
Did they log the engine compression #'s over 150k miles of normal driving(not test stands), with about 5000hrs of running time, or with about 10,000 gallons of fuel used?
Did they take pictures of the sludge building up in the engine over the time period?
Did they perform regular leakdowns test?
Where are the back to back or side by side comparisons?
Just a UOA.
I'd also like to see a larger sump, a standard oil cooler(water or thermostat air types), a larger filter, an engine timer, a fuel usage meter........, along with the UOA, prior to even considering an OCI.
Like an odometer, the engine timer/fuel meter should also be tamper proof!

So, whats the warranty like in these new cars? As BMW said, we'll lower the initial cost of ownership with extended maintenance schedules.
I'd think that most people, in certain income brackets, trade up more frequently than the workers who buy cars that hopefully their kids or grandkids might be driving.
I guess that if you always rebuy prior to warranty expiration, then why bother with any maintenance!
I also now know why I'll never buy used. I'd rather have a new Ford/GM/Chrysler over the used luxury import.

How many automakers/dealers have included free maintenance or sold packages with their vehicles? and seen sales increase?
I bet that longer maintenance intervals might sway certain poorly researched individuals between brands.

quote:

Originally posted by Matt89:
Well yeah, of course. Somebody should have been checking the dipstick too!

The dipstick behind the steering wheel should be doing that
dunno.gif
. Back in the olden daze, people checked their oil because all cars burned oil. Now that most cars don't require extra oil in 6,000 miles and we have self serve gas stations a lot of cars get abused.

Sometimes a car that hasn't burned oil for 100,000 miles will get bored and gulp a quart in a couple of thousand miles.

Remember the vehicle manufacturer is betting only that your engine will last 36,000 miles, while you are hoping it will last 300,000 miles. The extended interval oil change -in whatever shape it takes- is a marketing ploy to sell you on how inexpensive it is to operate one of their vehicles.

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:
The 3,000 mile or 3-month rule was begun many years ago when oils weren't as good as present day oils. The rule has been perpetuated by oil change places and oil companies needing a profit at your expense.
Ken

My sister in law just visited us yesterday. She has a late model Saturn and her local Sleazy Change oil place has here convinced she needs 2,000 mile oil changes. She drives over 20,000 miles per year and the Sleazy Chhange 'bots didn't even ask her what type of driving she did.
banghead.gif

I think I made a little progress. I think I convinced her to get a replacement for the owners manual she lost and see what it says, or at the least ask the dealer who will probably tell her 3,000 miles.

quote:

Originally posted by Jim Spahr:
Remember the vehicle manufacturer is betting only that your engine will last 36,000 miles, while you are hoping it will last 300,000 miles. The extended interval oil change -in whatever shape it takes- is a marketing ploy to sell you on how inexpensive it is to operate one of their vehicles.

It seems to me that since oil is cheap and cars are not, changing every 3,000 miles with good oil is the safe money.

The other interesting note is that although dealers offer extended warranties, most are still for a brief period (5-6 years), even if they offer many miles (100K). Many people are still paying off the car loan when the warranty expires.

Hmmm....

IMNSHO, Detroit and Japan are in the cold hard business of selling new cars and not providing lifetime transportation from used ones. So, call me stupid, but I think the modern formula should be short OCI's with very good oil.

Bob W.

quote:

Originally posted by TheFuror:
So, call me stupid, but I think the modern formula should be short OCI's with very good oil.

Bob W.

I wouldn't call you stupid, but people get very long engine life changing at 6,000 miles with decent synthetic. Some go longer.

I would call my sister in law who has been conned into 2,000 miles changes ignorant, because I know she's not stupid. I can't even accuse her of herd mentality like the rest of the 3,000 mile changers. She's out in front of the herd.
pat.gif

quote:

The dipstick behind the steering wheel should be doing that .

Haha. I find myself checking the oil in every vehicle that I can. I saved one government van already by doing this!

When I was in grad school I taught two of my classmates how to change oil and all the other stuff you should check in a car. One was a guy, no problem. One was a somewhat younger woman - the wife did not care for that little act of kindness on my part
pat.gif

quote:

"Many of these samples were from vehicles with
greater than 10,000 miles on the oil, a few with more than 14,000
miles, and at least one with greater than 16,000 miles. These
intervals were recorded in vehicles using regular mineral oil.

I (and almost everyone here) wouldn't go over 10K miles with any dino oil whatsoever. There's very few synthetics I'd go over 10K miles without an UOA.

It's good to hear the world's largest auto company setting it straight on OCIs.

I have an 03 Chevrolet with a Duramax. I use the OLM, but change at 25% because I run a programmer. I may be mistaken, but my manual tells you to follow the OLM, but not to go over 1 year or 10,000 miles which ever comes first.

"One year or 10k miles max" that's what my owners manual says. Ive never gotten past 8500 though before the meter read "0" and that's under ideal conditions. Any amount of city driving or idling and the meter drops quite rapidly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back