Indent on sidewall?

I’ve been adding air every few days for like a month now. Last time I added air I noticed this? Is this a big problem? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_2348.jpeg
    IMG_2348.jpeg
    148.2 KB · Views: 146
It’s where the sidewall polyester plies were seamed together. Some brands or runs will have a more noticeable indent.
That one looks pretty extreme.

Has it always been like that? I’ve never seen one extend up into the tread before.
I have no idea, I just noticed it now. Been adding air to this tire frequently but usually at night so I didn’t notice it before. Or maybe it’s new. But the car drives fine with no vibration or anything even at highway speeds.

OK, as an update, took it to America's Tire. I showed the guy my concern and he said it's completely normal and not a problem. An inward depression is safe while an outward bulge would be unsafe. They did a completely free, $0.00, flat repair. I'm very satisfied, and glad I don't need to buy a new tire.

I noticed the edge of the tread is also deformed! IMO it's too much!

I would only trust the tyre for low speed use below well 50mph.

the tyrerack info is inrteresting and despite the fitter saying it's ok, I would not be comfortable. Perhaps use it as a spare wheel for emergencies.
Might be worth double checking with your insurers.

I noticed the edge of the tread is also deformed! IMO it's too much!

I would only trust the tyre for low speed use below well 50mph.

the tyrerack info is inrteresting and despite the fitter saying it's ok, I would not be comfortable. Perhaps use it as a spare wheel for emergencies.
Might be worth double checking with your insurers.

You don't think the tire shop would have tried to sell me a tire if it was unsafe?

I am sure tyre shops would not knowingly sell you an unsafe product.
From your picture, this defect is outside my comfort zone while perhaps perfectly legal. Maybe with use, the carcase will settle into its intended shape

PS Years ago I read about a case where a driver noticed the labels on the sidewall of his new tyres did not show the DOT and speed rating missing. Found out is was manufacturers reject that somehow got back into the regular market:)

I am sure tyre shops would not knowingly sell you an unsafe product.
From your picture, this defect is outside my comfort zone while perhaps perfectly legal. Maybe with use, the carcase will settle into its intended shape

PS Years ago I read about a case where a driver noticed the labels on the sidewall of his new tyres did not show the DOT and speed rating missing. Found out is was manufacturers reject that somehow got back into the regular market:)
The tires are not new, they came on the car. So I have no idea if it’s always been like that. Only had the car a couple months.

Back