In: Power Steering Cooler and Maxlife ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it all started with nasty screeching being made by my Roadmaster's power steering pump when at full lock. Being a gigantic station wagon, full lock position is used frequently during parking lot maneuvers. Whatever fluid was in there was nasty and nearly black.

I decided it was time to change the fluid, and knowing how prone fluid overheating is in LT1 GM B-bodies, I decided to toss in a power steering cooler at the same time. Also entering into the mix would be a Magnefine filter. I used a large transmission cooler sandwiched between the condenser and radiator for cooling duties.

I've been using Maxlife in systems that call for Dexron ATF to good effect, and saw no reason to do things any differently here.

When all was said and done, I now have zero noise, and the fluid temps never exceed 130 degrees. Never do I find the top of the reservoir to be wet with overflow either. Steering itself feels smoother and more even throughout the steering range.

Despite return line pressures being slightly above 30 psi, the Magnefine does not leak a drop. Overall, I'm very happy, and can drive my Roadmaster like the musclewagon it is, without any steering issues. Can't wait to give the transmission the same treatment.

Good to hear that your efforts resolved you PS issues. I hooked up a remote filter with a spin on oil filter for the PS and also plumbed the PS return line through a used transmission cooler I got off a Ford truck in the junk yard. The slight humming noise from my PS pump has gone away and the PS fluid stays nice and clear. Wonder why auto manufacturers don't offer PS filtration and cooling (I've only heard of a couple with PS coolers factory installed) for their vehicles.

My 67 f250 camper special has a factory ps cooler. When I changed the pump after it blew a seal, I flushed it and am running maxlife atf in it. Calls for type f but I gave it a shot and I'm very happy with it. Quiet, consistent operation and no leaks or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back